9 Replies Latest reply: Dec 31, 2012 5:23 AM by Nikolas Mayr
David Krug Level 2 (230 points)

Several times a day, on both my iMac and Macbook, I get asked if I want to install drivers for printers which I've had installed for years. When I click on the download button, a "searching for software" box comes up, and in a few minutes, tells me that the software is "unavailable at this time".

I dismiss the box, but in a few hours, it comes back again.

Any tips on how to make this stop?

iMac, OS X Mountain Lion, 20" (2007)
  • sberman Level 7 (32,410 points)

Have you gone to System Preferences (under the Apple logo on the menu) and chosen Printers & Scanners and removed all those obsolete printers (using the minus sign on the bottom)?

When you said "printers I've had installed for years", I naturally assume they're obsolete.

• Matthew M. Barnes Level 1 (15 points)

i'm having the same problem but with a printer that i've only had for a few months.  it keeps asking me if i want to install the drivers for the printer (HP Officejet Pro 8500A) but then tells me the software is unavailable at this time.  the printer is working fine so obviously it doesn't need the drivers, but it's driving me NUTS!  help me make this stop.

thanks!

• David Krug Level 2 (230 points)

No, they're printers that are still attached and have been working fine.

The odd thing is that I've gotten driver updates via Software Update before. These alerts are not coming up through that, but are just popping up on their own.

• sig Level 8 (35,785 points)

What printers?

I have a Brother laser printer and an Epson printer/scanner. I get a similarly-styled download request for both.

• John Blanchard1 Level 5 (5,230 points)

In Lion, the solution was to delete the /LIbrary/Printers/hp folder and install the drivers once from

http://support.apple.com/kb/DL907

Success seems to vary on ML.

Hope this helps.

This is what ended up happening:

1. I deleted the printer from the Print & Scan panel with the intent of reinstalling it. My Mac detected the printer and said something like "Drivers are available from Apple. Click here to install." Clicking there gave me a similar message to the above that they were not available.
    2. I went to Brother's website and downloaded the appropriate CUPS drivers from there. Everything went as expected and I was able to reinstall the printer in Print & Scan.
    3. Later on, the OS X 10.8.2 "Supplimental Update" was released, and when I went to Software Update, I also got a note that Brother Software 9.2 was available. So I updated that as well.

That was about six hours ago. So far, I haven't gotten any printer-related dialog boxes, so I think my problem may be solved.

• stihlmania Level 1 (40 points)

this update fixed my Epson printer issues with airport. Works like a charm now.

• Nikolas Mayr Level 1 (0 points)

Deleting the printers form /Library/Printers also worked for me. I installed the printer driver on Lion manually and maybe after updating the system Mountain Lion did keep track of its exitentence, hence asks for installation and the installer then sees that the files are already in place so it cancelles the installation process.