Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mountain Lion keeps asking to install printer drivers

Several times a day, on both my iMac and Macbook, I get asked if I want to install drivers for printers which I've had installed for years. When I click on the download button, a "searching for software" box comes up, and in a few minutes, tells me that the software is "unavailable at this time".

I dismiss the box, but in a few hours, it comes back again.

Any tips on how to make this stop?

iMac, OS X Mountain Lion, 20" (2007)

Posted on Oct 3, 2012 10:04 PM

9 replies

Oct 4, 2012 12:02 AM in response to sberman

i'm having the same problem but with a printer that i've only had for a few months. it keeps asking me if i want to install the drivers for the printer (HP Officejet Pro 8500A) but then tells me the software is unavailable at this time. the printer is working fine so obviously it doesn't need the drivers, but it's driving me NUTS! help me make this stop.

thanks!

Oct 4, 2012 8:03 PM in response to David Krug

This is what ended up happening:

1. I deleted the printer from the Print & Scan panel with the intent of reinstalling it. My Mac detected the printer and said something like "Drivers are available from Apple. Click here to install." Clicking there gave me a similar message to the above that they were not available.
  2. I went to Brother's website and downloaded the appropriate CUPS drivers from there. Everything went as expected and I was able to reinstall the printer in Print & Scan.
  3. Later on, the OS X 10.8.2 "Supplimental Update" was released, and when I went to Software Update, I also got a note that Brother Software 9.2 was available. So I updated that as well.

That was about six hours ago. So far, I haven't gotten any printer-related dialog boxes, so I think my problem may be solved.

Mountain Lion keeps asking to install printer drivers

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.