Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

HELP! My iPhone 4 is getting HOT while charging or in use since I updated to iOS 6

HELP!!!

I updated to iOS 6 and now my phone has turned into a piece of junk! It gets SUPER hot when I'm using it (ie: talking on it!) or when it is charging. The back and the sides just heat up like an oven. I took it out of the case and tried to put it in front of a fan and it is just SO HOT. This started recently, aka, ever since I updated to iOS 6. Just now, I was talking to my boyfriend and it kept dropping the calls while it was getting hot. Then the screen went black, it redialed him, and I couldn't even see what was going on on the screen. I just happened to hear him talking. BTW: I have an iPhone 4. Is anyone else having the same problem? More importantly, is there any fixes that anyone can suggest? I'm in a long distance relationship so I NEED to be able to talk on the phone for more than 3 minutes.

iPhone 4, iOS 6

Posted on Oct 3, 2012 11:01 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 4, 2012 4:48 AM

Hello ..do you have a history on the phone? did you get it wet? was it dropped? have you been using an authentic ORIGINAL apple charging cable?

this problem occurs when there is a short circuit in the phone... you most likely got it wet at some point and maybe didnt even realize it? The moisture in the phone hasb probablly oxidized one or several capacitors, integrated chips thereby short circuiting the phone. that is why he phone is acting erratic because these short circuits inadvertently "activates" other circuits.. eventually the phone will not turn on anymore- the heat will stress the citcuit board and you will have discontinuity along your main power lines and the phone will cease to function..i see this alllll the time in our shop

the fact you upgraded to ios6 will even work the phone harder because its a more powerful operating system taking full advantage of the A4 chip..

13 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 4, 2012 4:48 AM in response to sreed2124

Hello ..do you have a history on the phone? did you get it wet? was it dropped? have you been using an authentic ORIGINAL apple charging cable?

this problem occurs when there is a short circuit in the phone... you most likely got it wet at some point and maybe didnt even realize it? The moisture in the phone hasb probablly oxidized one or several capacitors, integrated chips thereby short circuiting the phone. that is why he phone is acting erratic because these short circuits inadvertently "activates" other circuits.. eventually the phone will not turn on anymore- the heat will stress the citcuit board and you will have discontinuity along your main power lines and the phone will cease to function..i see this alllll the time in our shop

the fact you upgraded to ios6 will even work the phone harder because its a more powerful operating system taking full advantage of the A4 chip..

Oct 4, 2012 9:49 AM in response to ewde1

I do not recall ever getting my phone wet. I have been using the Apple charger to charge it. I've only had the phone since July. Last night, I charged my phone, took it off of the charger, closed all the apps, and went to bed. I woke up this morning and it was at 20%. I wasn't even using it.

Should I take it to the Apple store?

Jul 11, 2013 12:08 PM in response to DJG77

DJG77 wrote:

How can she possibly be charging it wrong?

You plug it in and switch it on. Not rocket science really is it. Plus she has already been told its a software issue.

Any particular reason you're resurrecting a thread that's been dormant for 10 months to be unkind to someone who was probably new and just trying to help and whose native language may not be English?

HELP! My iPhone 4 is getting HOT while charging or in use since I updated to iOS 6

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.