Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My iphone was stolen and I use the FindMyIphone app to erase data and wipe it out.. the question is.. what happen with the telephone once I've erased data.. Is there a chance that anybody else can use it.. Does this procedure become it unusable?

My iphone was stolen and I use the FindMyIphone app to erase data and wipe it out.. the question is.. what happen with the telephone once I've erased data.. Is there a chance that anybody else can use it.. Does this procedure become it unusable?

iPhone 4S, iOS 6

Posted on Oct 4, 2012 3:55 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 4, 2012 4:07 AM

Depends, if you live somewhere where lost/stolen phones are blacklisted, then the phone could not be reactivated in that country. If blacklisting is not available, then the phone could be reactivated & used by whoever found it.

10 replies

Oct 4, 2012 4:08 AM in response to wamerikan

The phone is technically usable. All the thief has to do is reset it as a new iPhone.

But it depends. If it was locked to a carrier, they would need to get a SIM from that carrier, but if you report it stolen to the carrier, the thief might have a hard time doing that.

If it was bought legally unlocked the thief could reset it as a new iPhone, and get a SIM from anywhere. I think you can report it stolen to Apple and they will eneter it on their database in case someone brings it in for servicing.

Maybe others here can add to this...

Good luck.

Oct 4, 2012 4:24 AM in response to Ralph Landry1

You just report the loss to your carrier. In the US, the FCC has gotten agreement from the carriers to participate. All of this is controversial, as many carriers simply don't want to play police. Not to mention the potential for abuse. The whole idea is to cut down phone thefts. In the UK, it appears to be working, somewhat, but the thieves just ship the phones out of the country.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.