Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Clicking link in mail opens a new tab, not a new window

When clicking on a link in AppleMail, after a recent update, opens a tab in a random window or perhaps the top window in Safari. Until this update, clicking on the link used to open a new window. This is driving me nuts. I am getting links from mail opening in a new tab in Safari windows I reserve for specific topics, or uses. I do not want unrelated mail links opening and interfering with work in these existing browser windows. Also, when I see the link from mail is not wanted, I too often close the window like I usually do, but now inadvertently close a Safari window with multiple tabs of important information, that I have trouble recreating. Where did this come from!? How do I change it so a new window opens?

Mac OS X (10.7.5)

Posted on Oct 4, 2012 3:08 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 8, 2012 2:41 PM

I was having the same problem and finally figured out how to change this bahavior. Go to Safari preferences under the 'Tabs' settings. Make sure the field "Open pages in tabs instead of windows" is set to NEVER. That should do the trick.

4 replies

Clicking link in mail opens a new tab, not a new window

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.