Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

All drives connected are not locked HELP !

I have MBP 13 with 10.8.2

I was booted to another volume working on a 10.6 when system locked up.. so I had to hard power down.. upon restart system would hang on grey screen with only mouse pointer visible.. so I booted to known good OS and every drive that was connected at time of shutdown has a padlock on bottom left.. I have tried to unlock but there is no unlock check in Get Info.. I have tried to change Permissions but when I unlock and change they instantly revert back.. I have ran several command line in both my admin name and in root... I can not clear ACL I can not change any permissions or even delete the partition.. I have done alot of work since last time machine back up and don;t want to loose.. I have tried using Disk Warrior, Techtool Pro, and Batchmod with no success.. I am almost ready to wipe my drive and start fresh WHO CAN HELP?

User uploaded file

User uploaded fileUser uploaded fileUser uploaded file

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Oct 4, 2012 5:22 AM

6 replies

Oct 4, 2012 5:45 AM in response to tromano32

Try this one also

1. Press cmd + Space to bring up a search.
  2. Type Terminal and press Enter.
  3. In Terminal, type in the following (depending on your drive name) and press Enter:
    “sudo chflags nouchg /Volumes/Drive_Name”
    If your drive name has a space in it then you will need to type a space as “\ “
    For example: “/Volumes/Drive\ Name”.
  4. You will need to enter your password and press Enter.
    • It won’t show any characters when you type.
    • If you do not have a password then set one first.
  5. Now type in the following and press Enter:
    sudo chmod 1775 /Volumes/Drive_Name
  6. The lock should now be removed. Do this for every drive that appears as locked.
  7. Find your home folder and right click it, then select Get Info.
  8. Look under the Sharing & Permissions section. If the padlock is locked then click it, enter your password if you have one and click OK.
  9. Click the + button, click on your username and click Select.
  10. Click on your name in the list.
  11. Click the cog like icon, then click Make (Me) the owner.
  12. Click the cog like icon, then click “Apply to enclosed items”.
  13. You will be asked “Are you sure…”. Click OK to confirm.
  14. Once done, click the padlock to lock the changes.

http://www.fixkb.com/2011/01/hard-drive-appears-as-locked-on-mac.html

Oct 4, 2012 7:07 AM in response to tromano32

Status Update,

So I read somewere that MacDrive on windows ignores permisions so I plugged into my windows machine.. repaired disk on MacDrive.. plugged back into my mac and followed above instructions and my drive is now UNLOCKED ! yay.. its still won't boot but files are now readable.. so I am going to do a clean ML install and migration assistant my account back over and I think I will be good.. thanks for the help !

All drives connected are not locked HELP !

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.