Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Driver for HP j6480 Fax capability under ML?

I have an HP J6480 that I used to have in my print queue twice under Snow Leopard, once as a printer, once as a fax. Somewhere along the line between SL, Lion, and ML, it stopped being in the queue as a fax. I may have deleted it when I was having a printer problem, and not bothered to add it back, because it was a rarely needed feature. The printer is still in my installed printers list as a print/scan device.

Now I'd like to drive it as a fax from my computer, now running OS X 10.8.2.

With apple support on the line, I connected to it via USB, could see the printer as a 'multifunction' device, but still, when I click on the device in the printer list, it shows only print/scan options.

Anyone know if the fax capability is hidden somewhere and I'm just not seeing it? Or if there's a workaround to send something as a fax without having to physically print, scan, and fax each page from the J6480 itself?

HP of course is useless--the device is long out of warranty, and their web site only provides links to 'informational' downloads for printer installation for Lion and Mountain Lion.

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Oct 4, 2012 8:23 AM

7 replies

Oct 4, 2012 11:11 AM in response to John Blanchard1

If the Fax queue does not appear try clicking the Apple icon, click Software Update and install any available HP Update.

Then go to System Preferences > Print & Scan and click the plus button.

Allow 30-60 seconds and check if the printer now appear as a fax.

If the fax still does not appear try installing the HP Printer Drivers 2.11:

http://support.apple.com/kb/DL907

Then reboot the Mac and try adding the fax again.

Regards,

Shlomi

Oct 4, 2012 12:22 PM in response to Donot Haveone

At the bottom of the AddPrinter window, there is a menu called Print Using (or similar) that lets you select which driver you want to use. It should be showing HP OfficeJet J6400 Series. Click on that, and, if the fax driver doesn't automatically show up, use the Select Software to navigate to the fax driver - type 6400 in the search field.

Hope this helps.

Driver for HP j6480 Fax capability under ML?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.