9 Replies Latest reply: Oct 4, 2012 2:12 PM by léonie
MacGuido Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

Ok so I made a fresh installation of ML on a new SSD and put Aperture and its library on it.

Sure I noticed a boost in performance, so I thought that moving also the masters (which are currently stored as referenced on another internal drive) would result in a futher improvement in terms of speed.

I then relocated only the master of a work-in-progress project but didn't notice any improvement.

The logic suggests that having a master on a faster disk should result in a faster adjustment.

What do you think?

Here is my config:

Mac Pro 8 core @2.8 GHz

16 Gb RAM

ATI Radeon HD 5770 1024 Mb

27 Led Cinema

240 Gb Corsair Force GT as System disk

3TB Hitachi as internal Archive

Guido

• léonie Level 9 Level 9 (69,175 points)

Guido,

that depends on how you are using Aperture (browsing and tagging, or adjusting images) and how much RAM you have.

A faster disk will help, if you need to access the masters frequently, for example during the initial import, when the original image files need to be processed for preview generation and face detection, also when you are adjusting images. But if you have a mac with plenty of RAM like you have now, and the image can be loaded into the RAM and kept there during the complete adjustment, then it will not make much difference, if the masters are not on your fastests disk, for the image needs only to be read once. But the Aperture library needs to be accessed over and over again, when browsing, tagging, editing, and to have the library and good quality previews on the SSD should make a huge difference, as you noticed.

I am sure, the masters on the SSD would be more helpful, if you had less RAM.

Regards

Léonie

Added: Our macs seem to be very similar; I too do not see much difference, when I relocate originals from the SSD to the second internal drive.

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion, 2.4 GHz I.Core i7, 16GB RAM, 500GB

• Kirby Krieger Level 6 Level 6 (12,470 points)

MacGuido wrote:

The logic suggests that having a master on a faster disk should result in a faster adjustment.

What do you think?

I don't think so.  Adjustment are done _in memory_, or, when that runs out, in space taken from the system drive and used as memory.  Additionally, Adjustments are not saved to the Master Original, they are saved to the Version, which is a text file that is always in the Library.

IME, starting with Aperture 3 on Macs with 4 GB RAM, the location of the Masters Originals made no practical difference in working with Aperture.  I have put entire sets of Originals on external USB-2 drives, and run very large Libraries successfully.  At the time, I recommended putting the Originals on FireWire 400 or faster.  Even though I now use a much faster machine, I don't think there is any strong reason to store Originals on anything faster than a 7200 rpm drive with 16 MB cache connected via FW400 or faster.

Aperture is, afaict, superbly engineered to take advantage of the hardware available to it, and to run as smoothly as possible on whatever hardware it is installed on.  The big determinants of Aperture performance are CPU cores and clockspeed, GPU throughput, and RAM.  Somewhat behind these is system disk throughput (and free space).  I'm sure I'm leaving out something obvious, but right now I can't think of anything else that has a significant effect on Aperture performance.

With 16 GB of RAM and your Library on your SSD, I can't think of anything worth doing to your system to improve Aperture performance.  Leave _at least_ 10% of your SSD empty.  I've been working with some large panoramas, and am in the process of freeing space on my SSD so that I have about 150 GB free.  For me, 20% free space on my SSD is a necessary limit.

Diction, Kirby :

MastersOriginals

How to call the baby? In Aperture 3.3. and later "Originals", previous versions "Masters".

That is easy, if the poster states the version of Aperture she or he is using, or if we can infer it from the post in some way, but what if not? Currently I try to use the word the poster is using.

I am really tired of always writing doublets originals/masters - that makes the posts nearly unreadable and is a waste of time. We could agree in this forum always to call the original image files simply "originals", independent of the Aperture version; what do you think?

Léonie

• Kirby Krieger Level 6 Level 6 (12,470 points)

leonieDF wrote:

I am really tired of always writing doublets originals/masters - that makes the posts nearly unreadable and is a waste of time. We could agree in this forum always to call the original image files simply "originals", independent of the Aperture version; what do you think?

Léonie

Yeah.  I'm cool with just saying "Original" in all cases.  The OP will either understand, or will ask.

My reasoning in the post you cited was that the OP is (likely) not a native speaker of English, and so I tried to build into my post a pedagogically limpid "auto-diction-switcher".  .

• Ernie Stamper Level 8 Level 8 (37,550 points)

In the Package of the Library, the folder they are kept in is still named "Masters"!

Ernie

In the Package of the Library, the folder they are kept in is still named "Masters"!

I know, Ernie, even in an iPhoto Library! And I like the word "Master" much more than "Original", I feel it is more expressive - "Original" is somewhat lame in comparison - but that is for native speakers to decide.

• Ernie Stamper Level 8 Level 8 (37,550 points)

I don't think "quasi originals" will ever catch on

Ernie

• Jeffrey Jones2 Level 6 Level 6 (8,615 points)

Léonie,

What are they called in German-localized Aperture?

What are they called in German-localized Aperture?

Same as in English: "Original" or "Originalbild"

• Aperture library: Mediathek
    • Version:  Arbeitskopie
    • Original/Master: Original(bild)
    • Project: Projekt
    • Vault: Sicherungskopie

german.png

Regards

Léonie