I have a Mac Pro with 10.4.11 Os I need to change the computer name for another, and I already did it with no problem via System preferences/accounts and sharing...
the thing is my home folder still appears with the old name, so the questions are:
1. How to change the home name
2. is this safe? I mean can the computer crash or something if I change the home name's folder?
See a pictures attached
Thanks in advance for any help
Hello, it's dangerous, but can be done...
For Mac OS X v10.4.11 and earlier
- Optional step: As a precaution, you may disable automatic login prior to performing this procedure. You might want to back up important data, too. In the event that you restart the computer for any reason before completing the procedure, this would prevent complications from having displaced the user selected for automatic login. (For Mac OS X v10.1.5 or earlier, automatic login is found in the Login preference pane. For Mac OS X v10.2 and v10.3, it is found in the Accounts preference pane.)
- Mac OS X v10.3 or later: If FileVault is enabled, temporarily turn it off, which will log you out.
- Enable the root user and log in as root.
- For Mac OS X v10.2 or later: Open the Accounts pane of System Preferences.
For Mac OS X v10.1.5 or earlier: Open the Users pane of System Preferences.
- In the Name list, locate the user account with the short name that you want to replace. This will be referred to as the "original user".
- Note whether or not the original user is identified as an administrator, which appears in the Kind column to the right.
- Click New User. For Mac OS X v10.3 or later, this is the plus button.
- Complete the Name and Short Name fields as desired. Be sure that the Short Name is exactly as you want it to appear.
- For Mac OS X v10.2: Fill in the New Password and Verify fields.
For Mac OS X v10.1.5. or earlier: Click the password tab, then fill in the Password and Verify fields.
- If the user you are replacing is an Admin user, then select the checkbox for "Allow user to administer this computer". For Mac OS X 10.3, click the Security tab to locate this setting.
Note: This checkbox is dimmed and already selected if there is not another Admin user. Mac OS X requires at least one Admin user.