Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Paint peeling around sim tray...

So this is the second manufacturing defect I've encountered... In fact, this is a replacement phone I received this past monday as my original one had some dents on the back of the phone right out of the box.

I noticed this moring that the paint around the sim tray seems to be peeling away... anybody having similar issues? 😟

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

Time to go to the genius bar once again, ugh! 😠

Posted on Oct 4, 2012 8:51 AM

3 replies

Oct 4, 2012 10:15 AM in response to vr6pwr

Peeling? I doubt it is peeling as it is anodized. I would think it might have been scrapped when inserting the sim card holder. Take a closer look as see if it looks more like a scrape.

Personally I am not sure why apple went with aluminum, seems to me to be too soft a material for a phone body. I have a feeling that the iphone 5 might be the last one to use it.

If you are not going to keep your phone in a case I would forget about this scrape. Even in a case it will probably show signs of wear in some places.

Oct 5, 2012 6:40 AM in response to ken5

Well... Apple ended up replacing it (I tried to get as close as possible with the camera but still doesn't show very well the 'peeling' all around the tray), but not after a very disappointing explanation by the Genius claiming that ALL of the iPhone 5's have manufacturing flaws and that customers should just live with it... serioulsy!?!? 😠

Paint peeling around sim tray...

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.