Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I have a 24" iMac that's about 4 years old. I've done all the software updates as they come along but I'm having issues and wonder if I should update/upgrade the whole operating system. I currently have 10.5.8 and I'm wondering where to go from here.

My mac won't open PDFs anymore from email or websites and I've tried everything to my knowledge to correct this. There's website I that I want to utilize that requires the lastest verision of JAVA and my OS 10.5.8 is too old to do a download of the latest JAVA. So I'm thinking I need to upgrade the OS to something newer?? I'm thinking my hard drive needs to be cleaned up also (re-format?)

This computer is running slower and slower lately also.

HELP!

iMac, Mac OS X (10.5.8)

Posted on Oct 4, 2012 1:18 PM

1 reply

Oct 4, 2012 1:22 PM in response to ranlizzy

My mac won't open PDFs anymore from email or websites

That's odd. My Mac is 10 years old and runs OSX 10.4 and I can open pretty much any web site I want to, and I have yet to encounter a PDF I cannot open (more advanced ones with Adobe Reader). My computer isn't slowing down but everything else is speeding up.

Kappy 08/2012 post on upgrading to Snow Leopard, then Lion or Mountain Lion - https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4246342?answerId=19401628022#19401628022 - including how to get Snow Leopard and Lion since Apple removed them from the online store.

I have a 24" iMac that's about 4 years old. I've done all the software updates as they come along but I'm having issues and wonder if I should update/upgrade the whole operating system. I currently have 10.5.8 and I'm wondering where to go from here.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.