Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Working with Finder

I have a couple huge complaints about OSX Finder and wondering if anyone knows a way around it.

1) When using the Columns view which is what I really prefer, it opens a folder shrunk down too narrow to read anything. I'm constantly having to drag the open the columns and it drives me crazy. Is there a way to make it default to opening wide enough for the largest length file in the folder?

2) Is there a way to tell it that i want to use columsn or lists for every finder/folder that I open? it seems to remember the way I opened the last folder and keeps opening it the same way.

3) If using list view or columns for that matter, is there a way to have it sort folders at the top of the list instead of down in the list with all the files?

I'm really just trying to find some way to work with this thing that I'm not constantly having to resize and hunt for things.

thanks for any help you might provide.

glenn

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.7)

Posted on Oct 4, 2012 1:31 PM

8 replies

Oct 6, 2012 5:47 PM in response to glennfromjackson

3) View > Arrange By > Kind. (You can also right click or put an Arrange button on the toolbar.) This will group folders together, and folders are usually at the top of the arrangement. After choosing the arrangement you want, you can sort within Kind categories by holding the Option key — Arrange becomes Sort.

For detailed tips on using the Finder see this Macword article and this Apple Knowledge Base article.

Oct 8, 2012 5:34 AM in response to Jeffrey Jones2

Thank you, that solves one of my issues. Still would like to know if there is a way to get the column view to show full file names instead of that ... crap that is completely and totally useless. I swear some times I wish Apple would work on making existing dumb things work instead of spending so much time integrating with Facebook and Twitter.

Seriously,

Glenn

Working with Finder

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.