Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Unix command to stop Software updates for all users except admins?

I want to stop App Store and other software updates for all user accounts. Administrator accounts should still be able to do Software Updates.

Is there a terminal command that can do that i can push out through ARD?

Thanks

Mac Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2), IT Manager for an Ad Agency

Posted on Oct 4, 2012 3:42 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 4, 2012 8:47 PM

Managed preferences are the best bet. You could use Profile Manager or use the mcx command from the command line. I'd strongly suggest browsing over this before delving into MCX though...

http://macadmins.psu.edu/2011presentations/PSUMAC301-MCX-John_DeTroye.pdf

(the Workgroup Manager application shown is deprecated, but it's essentially the same with Profiles and running MCX from the command line)

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 4, 2012 8:47 PM in response to Robman

Managed preferences are the best bet. You could use Profile Manager or use the mcx command from the command line. I'd strongly suggest browsing over this before delving into MCX though...

http://macadmins.psu.edu/2011presentations/PSUMAC301-MCX-John_DeTroye.pdf

(the Workgroup Manager application shown is deprecated, but it's essentially the same with Profiles and running MCX from the command line)

Oct 9, 2012 11:07 AM in response to Linc Davis

Yeah, I gotcha. I was hoping there was a way to stop the App Store from displaying however many updates were needed. Now that i write this, there's really no need for the users to even HAVE the App Store on the dock. DOH! I'll just remove it.

Now, I'll need a ARD command to remove appstore from the dock, and restart the dock. :-)

Unix command to stop Software updates for all users except admins?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.