11 Replies Latest reply: Oct 5, 2012 3:16 PM by Dale Weisshaar
atomicluck1 Level 1 Level 1 (30 points)

My MBP unexpectely stopped mid-stream.  Every attempt to restart gets an odd screen with lines of code.  Some say 'Debugger called:  <panic>

The screen says:  "You need to restart your computer.  Hold down the Power button until it turns off, then press the Power button again."

I have done that multiple times and always come back to the same screen.

Any ideas?

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.4), 500GB | 4GB RAM | early 2009
  • Dale Weisshaar Level 6 Level 6 (15,855 points)

You are experiencing a Kernel Panic as seen and described in Apple doc.#106227.

Bad or incompatible RAM is the most common cause of KP's. It could just need to be reset……. to make sure there's a good connection. Pay attention to the Apple Hardware Test advice in the links below. I see some of your hardware mentioned in the KP log but I am no expert on reading those logs

Here's a great site for Resolving Kernel Panics. Please do all the steps in order, even if you don't think you need to do a certain step.

Here's a great MacFixIt article.

 Good Luck!  DALE

• atomicluck1 Level 1 Level 1 (30 points)

Iv tried all the things that the lists say.  Trying to restart in 'safe mode', etc.  However, nothing works.  I either get the same restart message with the same screen 'Debugger called: <panic>.  It is either that screen or on start up a grey screen with the wheel spinning that does not stop.  Can't even get the MBP to restart to do anything else.

Do have a Genius appointment tomorrow.

Fortunately, I have a MBA an my primary.  

Will it run the Apple Hardware Test mentioned in the Resolving Kernel Panics link?

Here's the AHT link.

DALE

No.  I will not restart at all.  I get one of 2 responses:

1.  The same screen again with the restart message, over laid on the 'Debugger called:  <panic>.

2.  Or it attempts to restart, but the wheel spins endlessly.

Even when I attempt to restart in 'safe mode' it is the same.

I tried 4 times to start and do the Apple Hardware Test, but the MBP simply will not start.  No even getting the restart screen any longer.  All I get is a grey screen and bar as if it's attempting to restart in 'safe mode' ... only for it to completely shut down.

Have a feeling that HD is going or already gone.  MBP was purchased 19FEB10.

The unit above contains the following options:

Processor 065-8489 2.26GHz Intel Core 2 Duo

Memory 065-8492 4GB 1066MHz DDR3 SDRM-2x2GB

Hard Drive 065-8498 500GB Serial ATA Drive@5400rpm

Optical Drive 065-8501 SuperDrive 8X DL

Apple Software - iWork 065-9172 iWork preinstalled

Apple Software - Final Cut Exp 065-7674No Final Cut Express

preinstd

Apple Software - Aperture 065-7673 No Aperture Preinstalled

Apple Software - Logic Express 065-7675No Logic Express

Preinstalled

Apple Software - Filemaker065-8307 No FileMaker Preinstalled

Apple Software - MS Office065-8198 No MSO preinstalled

DVI Adapter 065-8502 None

VGA Adapter 065-8506 None

Apple Keyboard & User's Guide065-8526Keyboard/Users Guide

Country Kit/AEX 065-8519 Country Kit

• broda220 Level 1 Level 1 (20 points)

Have you tried booting to the disk utility and doing a disk test from there?

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS1417

I now get only to responses:

1.  The front light comes on as if its attempting to start, only to immediately shut off.

2.  A grey screen with the wheel spinning for a few seconds, only to immeditately shut off.

Not much chance of doing a test or using a disk if it won't stay on long enough.

I see what you mean!

Here's Apple's kb/TS1573 article on Mac's that won't turn on.

Here's one on Gray screen that goes up to Mac's that have anything up to 10.6 installed. But it should be helpful to you, or others reading, even if you have a later OS.

DALE

I had to leave the MBP with the Apple Genius after the appointment.  They tried to resolve the problem, but they could not get it to turn on either.  Nor could they get it to reply to any of the internal testing.  At one point they thought maybe it was the cable to the HD, replaced it and still nothing.

I'll hear back in 3-5 days, but they were thinking as I was ... that the HD has gone bad and needs to be replace.

The good part is that I still had 122 days with Applecare so they don't believe there will be any charge for repairs.

Will keep this post active so I can update once I hear back.

atomicluck1 wrote:

The good part is that I still had 122 days with Applecare so they don't believe there will be any charge for repairs.

Cool!! Wish you luck!