Newsroom Update

Tap to Pay on iPhone is now available in Canada. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

are calls between iphone to iphone free?

I was wondering on how to use my iphone without adding to the expense

iPhone 4, iOS 6

Posted on Oct 4, 2012 7:41 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 4, 2012 7:43 PM

Calls between cellular devices use carrier minutes. Many offer free mobile to mobile, however that is up to the carrier. One advantage to using the iPhone is the ability to make Facetime calls if you are connected to wifi. Many carriers now are offering Facetime over cellular network if you are using iOS6. Using this however, uses your data. There are also apps like Skype that you can use over wifi as well, but to truly answer your question, calls between iPhones are not free.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 4, 2012 7:43 PM in response to cudlbug

Calls between cellular devices use carrier minutes. Many offer free mobile to mobile, however that is up to the carrier. One advantage to using the iPhone is the ability to make Facetime calls if you are connected to wifi. Many carriers now are offering Facetime over cellular network if you are using iOS6. Using this however, uses your data. There are also apps like Skype that you can use over wifi as well, but to truly answer your question, calls between iPhones are not free.

Apr 18, 2014 3:54 PM in response to spire88

To clarify, the only cost involved is your normal monthly fee for your cellular data usage (or any overages you may incur) with your carrier. Facetime is free to use, but you're responsible for the required internet connection, whether wi-fi or cellular.

My Facetime is just as 'free' using my cellular data as it is using my personal home wi-fi.

are calls between iphone to iphone free?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.