Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Problems with custom preview in Font Book

I just recently upgraded to Mountain lion and noticed that when I am browsing my fonts in Fontbook using custom preview that some fonts will switch to sample preview. But when it does that the preview pane gives me a sample view of all the weights of that font. For example: As I scroll down through the list of fonts using custom preview and I get to the Arial font the preview pane will switch from whatever I haved typed into it to a sample preview of Arial, Arial Italic, Arial Bold, and Arial Bold Italic. I can use custom preview for those fonts but I have to select the weight of that font in order to do it. Is there a way to turn that off or fix it so I can quickly browse through my fonts using custom preview?

*I did not do a clean install of mountain lion and I also have adobe font folio loaded into my fonts.

User uploaded file

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Oct 4, 2012 10:14 PM

8 replies

Jan 19, 2014 3:59 PM in response to wilcoxd98

If you are like me opening each font-family and requesting a custom preview is out of the question. You want to scroll quickly through all of your fonts, showing your custom text, waiting for the ood options to leap out at you. What was once a minute or 2 of tapping the down arrow is now an hour of tedious clicking.

I have not gotten Font Book to do what it used to do. But I purchased an app from the App Store called FontPreview (4.99) and it does what Font Book used to. Perhaps not as well, but it will do for me until Font Book fixes this "bug" which renders it useless for me.

I am not endorsing the app. I have used it for 5 minutes. Just trying to help those as frustrated as I am. I am attaching a link.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/fontpreview/id537580561?mt=12

Jan 25, 2014 10:18 PM in response to wilcoxd98

I just bought a new imac (maverick) which has Font Book 5.0 and I am unable to scroll through my fonts in custom preview. I used to be able to do this with the arrow keys on my old imac which has Font Book 2.2.2 and it would show the regular style of each font. This was very helpful for choosing fonts quickly. Now in Font Book 5.0 the preview switches from custom to sample after each font and I need to go back to the menu each time to switch it back for each and every font... tedious and NOT useful! I wish I could put my old Font Book into the new computer! Will there be a fix or update soon?

Feb 18, 2014 7:22 PM in response to PatchworkPottery

In order to use the Custom Font Preview again, as it used to work; Do this:

1. Open the disclosure triangle next to a Typeface, select just one of the styles / weights.
  2. NOW ⌘3 (command +3) : Custom should be available again.
  3. Create a few returns (if you wish) and add in your Custom Text at the top. It will preview it in that font.
  4. Arrow key down through other fonts (Latin ones obviously) and if the preview !!#$% disappears ?
  5. ⌘ + 3 again to switch it back to the Custom Preview.

Going down the list, some font's will break the preview.

You CANNOT Preview the Font Face in it's rolled up State, open the disclosure triangle. To make this somwhat less tedious (It still *****)

Use the ⇾ Right arrow key to unroll disclosure,

↑ & ↓ arrows to select the font,

and ⌘+3 to switch back to the Custom preview.

Sometimes only up / down and Command+3 will be needed.

I consider this broken, It SURE FEELS BUGGY, as the Custom Preview state won't stick.

I have left Apple feedback. It used to work seamlessly.

Sef.

Problems with custom preview in Font Book

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.