Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how to wake mac every 20 minutes

Hello

I have a simple goal and I think I found a 3rd party solution but it's overkill for my needs.

I need the mac to wake from sleep every 20 minutes or so and trigger OpenDNS updater.

I can't find anything in google and a Calendar automator script failed to wake the mac.

regards

iMac, OS X Mountain Lion, iMac 2006 10.6.x, Mac mini 10.8

Posted on Oct 5, 2012 12:24 AM

4 replies

Oct 5, 2012 2:09 AM in response to Klaus1

Why?

OpenDNS has an application called OpenDNS Updater. It works by contacting OpenDNS with my network's public IP address which happens to be dynamic. Unfortunately, I can not use my router to handle this as their is no resource in the router to do this so I use the OpenDNS software.

The issue is when my mac sleeps — this will cause OpenDNS to lose track of us which in turn leaves our network exposed to content I prefer be kept out of our home network. That's the caveat to their system and my configuration.

I am trying to avoid keeping my iMac on 24/7, reduce my energy bill by having the mac wake up for a few minutes while OpenDNS Updater delivers our public IP address back to the OpenDNS dashboard.

If this helps you find an answer I would appreciate it. Thanks

Oct 6, 2012 3:04 AM in response to Klaus1

Hi Klaus

Thanks for the conversation so far.

This link shows all the power consumption levels per iMac, http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3559 (iMac: Power consumption and thermal output (BTU) information)

I happen to own a 27 inch i7 3.4. It uses 142W per hour, that is much greater than an energy efficient light bulb.

I am afraid I really do need a power manager of sorts, I have to play around with Power Manager 4.1.3 for now. It would appear to wake my mac at a designated time of my choosing, open OpenDNS Updater and then go back to sleep.

Ideally, the router would be able to submit it's public IP address to OpenDNS dashboard but not apparently.

Thanks anyway… 🙂

how to wake mac every 20 minutes

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.