Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

The iPhone 5 purple haze camera issue is epic... The 4s never had a problem such as this and it's shocking that apple did not pickup up on the downfall... Will there be a software fix to color map the spectrum that glass blocks but saphire does not?

Can the purple haze issue on the iPhone 5 be solved with a software fix?

iPhone 5, iOS 6

Posted on Oct 4, 2012 10:56 PM

44 replies

Oct 5, 2012 1:48 PM in response to wegras

Hello Peter:

Based on the number of posts that you have and your speedy response, clearly you've made it your mission in life to help the laymen along the way in the Apple world. For this, I applaud you however it is you my friend that has a attitude that needs to be addressed and I really can't even understand what is compeling me to waste my time to responding to such nonsnse. It's ambiguous to assume that (a) I was looking for specutlation. (b) Was not versed on the T & C's of the forum. (c) That I was not aware that we are "users". You should really read the post before repsonding with such haste.

I am an avid Apple fan and a supporter from the get go which is why I posted.

Please spend your time where it can used best in helping users that need it.

All the best,

Matt

Oct 5, 2012 1:55 PM in response to mattstoelt

And you might make more sense if you were able to work out who said what

from the above responses

So we can assume you have all the answere so will work it out yourself

and if you can't the iphone is clearly faulty take it back to an Apple Retail store

and if they cannot fix it they will replace it under warranty

My iP5 does not have a purple haze

Oct 8, 2012 1:59 AM in response to mattstoelt

No, it can't be fixed by software. The issue appears to be IR (or near IR) what what I can tell. I have a friend who's tested the 5 Phone 5 camera in low light conditions with a hot object. Purple shows up. Funny, the object shows up purple when it is invisible to him in total darkness.

That's a IR filter issue or so it would appear to be.

Anyone else comment on this?

Oct 8, 2012 2:33 AM in response to killhippie

Here I am going to say it again,

the use of Synthetic Sapphire has more than likely lead to IR leakage. You'll need a filter to get rid of this.

Luckily this is an easy problem to fix and fix cheaply!!😉

Direct Quote:

Sapphire Glass Wikipedia:

One application of synthetic sapphire is sapphire glass. Here glass is a layman term which refers not to the amorphous state, but to the transparency. Sapphire is not only highly transparent to wavelengths of light between 170 nm (UV) and 5300 nm (IR) (the human eye can discern wavelengths from about 380 nm to 750 nm[33]), but it is also five times stronger than glass and ranks a 9 on the Mohs Scale, and much tougher than tempered glass, although not as much as synthetic stabilized zirconium oxide (such as yttria-stabilized zirconia).

Transparent and tough

One application of synthetic sapphire is sapphire glass. Here glass is a layman term which refers not to the amorphous state, but to the transparency. Sapphire is not only highly transparent to wavelengths of light between 170 nm (UV) and 5300 nm (IR) (the human eye can discern wavelengths from about 380 nm to 750 nm[33]), but it is also five times stronger than glass and ranks a 9 on the Mohs Scale, and much tougher than tempered glass, although not as much as synthetic stabilized zirconium oxide (such as yttria-stabilized zirconia).

Oct 8, 2012 5:43 AM in response to conorfromvictoria

EVERY camera will cause lensflare when pointed into a light source. My £3000 DSLR with a £2000 lens has lens flare. Thats why you use a hood or a rose to shield it. The bottom line, if you dont want flare, stop shooting into light, its what happens.

The colour is due to the filters (not just the sapphire lens) that the iSight camera uses. If you were to remove all thse and go back to plain glass then yes, the flare will be white rather than purple. However the image will suffer in other ways.

Its a choice, purple flare when using the camera incorrectly or not so sharp images, less scratch resistant lens, more IR interference? ~Which would you rather have?

Apple are right to say people are holding it wrong. As a pro photographer I see people shooting back lit subjects all too often. I use a lens flare for artistic effect. Other people get it because they simply dont know better.

The iPhone 5 purple haze camera issue is epic... The 4s never had a problem such as this and it's shocking that apple did not pickup up on the downfall... Will there be a software fix to color map the spectrum that glass blocks but saphire does not?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.