Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

email forwarding selects wrong account

When I try to forward an email in a mailbox (as opposed to the Inbox), it seems that Mail is automatically chosing an email adress to send from, but it is not the right one. Can account be selected as a default to use for forwarding? I understand that if I am in a specific Inbox, Mail selects that user to compose, reply or forward.

MacBook Air, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Oct 5, 2012 8:59 AM

5 replies

Oct 5, 2012 11:01 AM in response to macforefun

Sorry Guys my Cummunities page was taken away from under my hands/feet by an Apple Update, hence the one character posting.😢😁

Basically you have to Forward an Email from the Email address that it was originally sent to. You can however have a default send from when composing a new Mail item, this can be found in

Mail Preferences, Composing, Send new messages from:

Nov 20, 2012 4:09 PM in response to macforefun

I don't know if this issue was resolved, but I came across a similar issue with my coworker's iPad Mini today. Whenever a message was forwarded from email #1, it would list email #1 as the reply-to address, but after sending it, email #2 is shown as the sender. So it looks like the email was sent from a different email account.

I fixed this by first making sure that all the SMTP servers were turned "on" for that email account (IMAP) and then modified the primary server's outgoing mail server information by:

• filling in the User Name with your full email address (email@email.com)
  • filling in the Password with the password used for your email address
  • selecting "Password" to use for Authentication

And then save this information.

There's something similar to this on the desktop Mail application, in Preferences:

• Under Accounts, select the email account you're having trouble with in the left panel.
  • Select "Edit SMTP Server List..." under Outgoing Mail Server (SMTP).
  • Select the server your email uses, and below it, click on Advanced.
  • Fill in User Name and Password with your full email address and its corresponding password.
  • And select "Password" to use for Authentication.
  • Click OK to save this information.

These directions were written based on my OS X version, but you should find something similar.

Let me know if this works for you. Good luck!

email forwarding selects wrong account

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.