Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I want to upgrade the GPU on my mid/late 2011 iMac 21"

Hi everyone,

What MXM is used by the iMac!?
I would like to upgrade my iMac to one of the newer graphic cards on the market - This being something the standard 6750M and 6770M 512mb.

These both use a MXM-A port.

But the 27" can be bought with both 6770M and 6970M - The 6970 uses a MXM-B port.

Is its just:
21.5" = MXM-A

27 " = MXM-B

Best regards

Dennis

iMac (21.5-inch Mid 2011), OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Oct 5, 2012 9:02 AM

18 replies

Oct 5, 2012 9:53 AM in response to Qwah

Dennis,

The only user upgradeable part intended on iMac's is the RAM. For most iMac's the GPU and CPU are soldered in, if you want a more upgradeable machine your best option is the Mac Pro. If you want a more powerful iMac your best bet is to sell your existing machine and order the machine that comes closest to what you want. iMacs like most AIO computers are not designed to be upgraded.

Oct 5, 2012 10:51 AM in response to Qwah

The question your asking is of no importance.

The graphics chips in iMacs are not user upgradable/replaceable. Period.

The chip in the 21.5 inch models is soldered to the logic board.

The 27 inch models have a socketed chip, but in both instances, the chip is very hard to get to and involves pretty much dismantling a lot of stuff inside the iMac.

iMacs are not D.I.Y. Projects and these Macs are hard to work on for experienced Mac techs and Mac user upgraders.

There are no user serviceable items inside an iMac.

And if you still have AppleCare or Extended Apple Care you will void the warranty.

Also, if something you do inside goes wrong and your iMac does not function well or at all, you alone will be paying for an expensive repair.

If your iMac is still on AppleCare, I would recommend paying for and registering for extended AppleCare with Apple.

Due to the nature of the iMac design, anything can go wrong or fail.

Without the 3 year extended warranty, you are looking at very costly repairs/replacements.

The time to get a better high end GPU was when you bought your iMac new and ordered your iMac with the build to order options.

There was the option for 1 GB VRAM chip for the 27 inch screen models.

Later came the 2 GB VRAM chip for the 27 inch screen models

Oct 5, 2012 12:11 PM in response to Qwah

If you do a Google search around the place or look on iFixit, it will show you how to take apart your iMac.

I upgraded my iMac 2010 27 inch model from a Radeon 5750 to a 6970 2gb and it works fine no problem.

Here is a link to the best GPU you can currently install into the iMac http://www.applemacparts.co.uk/store/imac-intel-27inch-aluminium-27ghz-ci5-mid-2 011-imac-intel-inch-aluminium-radeon-6970m-video-card-p-72565.html.

The website sells Apple Parts so they have all the Apple drivers etc. The hardest part is the teardown replacing the card and putting it back together. Apart form that it's easy!

Hope this helps.

James

<Edited By Host>

Oct 5, 2012 12:28 PM in response to James_R_

I am fully aware that this can be done.

Seen the iFixit video, there is a rather long thread here in the Apple forums, as well.

There is also a thread/posting here where the procedure has been both documented step by step and the poster even tagged all of the parts and various screws and fasteners with post it notes for help to others.

This is still NOT an easy tear down.

Things can be missed, things can get damaged if not careful.

There have been iMac users here, fairly recently,that attempted this using the iFixit video as guide and DID brick their iMac or was not running correctly after assembly!

These particular iFixit videos make this look easy, but new Mac users and those new or novices to upgrading Macs do not realize that these tear downs and reassembles are being done by people who are experienced at doing such things, already. They make the job is doing look really easy and straight forward. Trust me, it is not!

Plus, if you still have AppleCare and/or the extended warranty, doing this will void all of the warranty protection.

If something gets screwed up during take down or reassembly and the user can't figure out what went wrong, they are on their own and may have to pay for an expensive repair.

I am 20 year Mac user and have done, at least, over a dozen major Mac upgrades in that time. Most were Mac towers, two or three were earlier model iMacs, and a Mac Mini.

So, yeah, I think I know a little more about all of this than you.

An iMac internal mod is NOT for a newbie or novice user or computer upgrader to take on.

That stated, If the OP intends to do this, they will be doing this at their own risk.

Oct 5, 2012 12:34 PM in response to MichelPM

I really doubt you know more about this than me.

I have been a Network Manager at a school for over 12 years. We have an infrastructure of over 700 Macs. I tear them down all the time. It's what i get paid for.

Don't say you know more, when you can't be certain.

I called you ignorant because you told him he couldnt do what he wanted to. But in fact he could, yes it isn't the easiest thing to do but it STILL CAN BE DONE. Yes sure WARN him about its complexity but tell him the truth as-well if you really know that much.

Oct 5, 2012 12:38 PM in response to Qwah

No problem Qwah, good luck on the teardown. Just make sure you don't rush it, the best thing to do is watch the video a couple of times to get familiar first before you even attempt anything.

If your ordering a 6970 make sure you are ordering one with the Mac drivers on it, as the standard PC cards won't work.

I want to upgrade the GPU on my mid/late 2011 iMac 21"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.