Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

help with a terminal command

Hi.

I am trying to do something, but have no experience in terminal. I am hoping on of you can help me?

I am trying to run this command:

$ /System/Library/Frameworks/ScreenSaver.framework/Resources/ScreenSaverEngine.ap p/Contents/MacOS/ScreenSaverEngine -background

then after 5 minutes I want that to stop

Then after 1 second I want it to start from the top. Then reapeat endlessly.

I am thinking after the command above something like:

sleep 300

killall ScreenSaverEngine

But I dont know the proper spacing and wording

So :

The screensaver kicks in for 5 minutes, then it stops itself, a second later it starts again for 5 minutes, then it stops itself, etc..

The reason I am doing this is because I want the screensaver to update the photos it displays as it is running. So I figured that if I stop the screensaver, and start it again, it would have included the new photos that have been added to the folder that is the source for the screensaver while it was running.

I dont want the regular screensaver because I need to run the screensaver on one monitor while I use the other monitor to add pictures to the screen saver's source folder.

With this verison of the screensaver it runs on the background, so I can use finder, while the screensaver is running on the second monitor.

Thank you!

Danielle

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.1)

Posted on Oct 5, 2012 10:13 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 5, 2012 11:26 AM

Got it! In Applescript:

repeat

do shell script "/System/Library/Frameworks/ScreenSaver.framework/Resources/ScreenSaverEngine.a pp/Contents/MacOS/ScreenSaverEngine -background &> /dev/null &"

delay 300

tell application "ScreenSaverEngine" to quit

delay 1

end repeat

1 reply

help with a terminal command

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.