Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Help! quick view stopped working! and all tool bar icons are missing?

I ran a couple new design apps this afternoon,(i'm a design student)

And I came back to a macbook with a ton of problems!

firstly, it seems that quick look has crashed? I can't view any pictures using the spacebar.

Then I realised all my toolbar icons are GONE.

That doesnt seem to the only problem. My border boxes are gone,and the transparency setting is all weird, black fonts turn white when I scroll over them?

I just upgraded from snow lepoard to mountain lion less than 2 week ago..this was not that i was expecting :/

I can't even reformat my even if i wanted too..since i got my software upgrade from the app store.

Please help..it's driving me nuts

User uploaded file

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2), 2.53 GHz intel Core 2 Duo , 4GB mem

Posted on Oct 5, 2012 11:46 AM

4 replies

Oct 5, 2012 11:55 AM in response to Berryblls

Try starting in Safe Mode and see if the problems still occur?

Restart holding the "shift" key.

(Expect it to take longer to start this way because it runs a directory check first.)

If this works look in System Preferences > Users & Groups > Login items and delete any third party login items (-), you can always add them back with the (+). Also look in /Library/Startup Items. Nothing is put in that folder by default, so anything in there is yours.

Oct 6, 2012 2:06 AM in response to macjack

Hey thanks for the macjack!

I tried holding shift and started my mac in safe mode. Nothing changed?

I also tried the system preferences method still nothing changed.

I dont seem to have the startup folder in my library though. Should I get my macbook reformated? If so how?

Also I realised my macbook in general is lagging extremely badly,when I try to move from screens to screen, even as i type now,the words are appearing slower than my typing speed.

Oct 6, 2012 5:58 AM in response to Berryblls

Berryblls wrote:

I dont seem to have the startup folder in my library though. Should I get my macbook reformated? If so how?

The Startup Items folder is in the root Library. You don't need the option key to access that Library

Macintosh HD/Library. If it's empty and given the slowness you're experiencing I'd try a re-install of ML.

Boot up holding command-r keys into your Recovery Volume.

The screen should give you these choices...

Restore from TM backup

Reinstall Mac OS X

Get help online

Disk Utility

First run Disk Utility Repair Disk, if you get errors run until no errors reported or reports "the disk cannot be fixed". Then, choose Reinstall OS X. This will be an install "in place" and shouldn't effect any of your own data or settings.

Help! quick view stopped working! and all tool bar icons are missing?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.