Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

/Auto Import/.AppleDouble/.Parent

Just got an iMAC, with OS X 10.8.2 and the latest patched version of iPhoto.

After performing an import of JPG photo's, I get the folllowing error:

Unreadable files: 1

The following file could not be imported. The file is in an unrecognosed format.

/Volumes/Pictures/iPhoto Library_2.photolibrary/Auto Import/.AppleDouble/.Parent

Which I have to say ok to every once and a while.

I am assuming this is some kind of internal file, but as I can't edit the library manually at a file system level (at least I don't know how), am I right to assume its a system error?

Will a rebuild fix the issue, or is it a known problem that will keep coming back, until a fix is made?

Additional information.

/Volumes/Pictures is a shared area on an IOMEGA Home Media NAS server. I connect to it via an Apple file share (ihoto complained when I tried to use a Windows (SMB) based share.

I am new to the world of Apple and OS X having spend the past 25 years working in Windows environments both at home and in-work (I am an IT person, but decided to purchase an iMac rather than upgrade my home PC). Anyway just wanted to give you some back ground, as it may be something simple, as it's all new to me.

iPhoto '11, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Oct 5, 2012 12:51 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 5, 2012 12:58 PM

The iPhoto library MUST be on a volume formatted Mac OS extended (journaled) or it will not work. Move it to your internal drive and create a properly formatted disk image for use on you NAS

LN

8 replies

Oct 5, 2012 2:46 PM in response to LarryHN

Just want to be sure on this, as Time Machine has the same limitation, but works when used via an afp:// format link rather than and smb:// link.

iPhoto itself is actually working, it just has this meaningless error appear from time to time.

So it would be interesting to understand why it doesn't work from a developer perspective and whether its likely to be fixed in the future?

I ask this, as NAS storage is ideal for photography, so iPhoto becomes very expensive to use, if it only supports internal storage devices.

Or am I missing something?

Oct 5, 2012 3:41 PM in response to Cymru-Druid

We are just users like yourself. No idea of why things are like they or , if they will ever change or if they so when

Yes it seems like a NAS is a perfect place for the iPhoto library for many reasons but it does not work there based on specs and reports

And as far as different access methods - beyond my pay grade. Maybe someone here knows more about NAS access

And suggestions to apple. IPhoto menu ==> provide iPhoto feedback are a good idea

LN

Mar 30, 2013 4:08 AM in response to Cymru-Druid

I am having the same issue but have lived with it for a while now. I moved it to a NAS as mentioned above and that started the issues mentioned. I found many latency issues using NAS for iPhoto so I moved it back. It is running local on my MAC now but still giving me the error. The annoying part and why I am finally posting something is it forgets where you left off in iPhoto.

Mar 1, 2015 6:29 AM in response to LarryHN

I too tried to move my huge iPhoto library to an external hard drive connected to my wifi router. Performance was horrible so I have gone back to physically connecting the drive by usb 3.0 whenever I want to work with photos. I kept getting this error and found no solutions online. I finally just removed/deleted the Auto Import folder from my iPhoto library and restarted iPhoto. It recreated the file and everything is back to normal. I hope this helps someone with taking the plunge on deleting a native Apple file in hopes of getting a result. It worked for me 🙂

Good luck!

/Auto Import/.AppleDouble/.Parent

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.