Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

download quicktime file

I have a file I wish to have someone download. Its on my server, where I can give the direct link to my destination (its actually been there almost a year, other people have downloaded it successfully). Other than the hidden address, there is no password or protection. So my current destination is another up to date mac with Quicktime 10, as I now have. He could view but couldn't download the file. I went to my own browser and the save function seems to be disabled. How does someone download and save a quicktime file?

iMac, Mac OS X (10.7.4), FCS 3

Posted on Oct 5, 2012 3:41 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 5, 2012 5:10 PM

"Saving" a QuickTime file after it has been downloaded is a feature of QuickTime Player Pro and its not found in QuickTime X.

If your Web file URL is "clicked" in a browser the file will download and play but can't be saved to the viewing machine.

But your viewer can click on the link and hold down the control key to bring up a contextual menu that allows the file to be downloaded (rather than play in the browser window).

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 5, 2012 5:10 PM in response to creativestuff

"Saving" a QuickTime file after it has been downloaded is a feature of QuickTime Player Pro and its not found in QuickTime X.

If your Web file URL is "clicked" in a browser the file will download and play but can't be saved to the viewing machine.

But your viewer can click on the link and hold down the control key to bring up a contextual menu that allows the file to be downloaded (rather than play in the browser window).

Oct 5, 2012 5:50 PM in response to creativestuff

How does someone download and save a quicktime file?

As always with such minimum information" questions, the answer is, "It depends." (I.e., it depends on the how you posted/reference the file, it depends on the specific system OS, software, and workflow being used by the target recipient.) For instance, here is a file currently posted as a temporary download on my own server:

http://downloads.walker4.me/downloads/Temporary_files/ScreenFlow2.mov

In this case, this is the URL of the clip itself. You can download it on most Mac platforms using current operating systems (Leopard, Snow Leopard, Lion, or Mountain Lion) using browsers that support "right click/control click" keyboard shortcut. I.e., you simply Right Click (Control Click) the URL and select the "Download Linked File" or "Download Linked File As..." option in the "Context" menu that opens on your screen. In a similar manner, Lion and Mountain Lion will automatically download linked files and store them to a default download location if you Option Click/Alt Click the URL in a browser that supports this keyboard shortcut (e.g., recent versions of Safari). Another option would be to copy the clip URL and and open it in either the QT X player or QT 7 Pro player and then, after it has been cached to your local computer, save the file to your hard drive (or you can program web pages to automatically open your clips in recipient QT players if you prefer so they can save them after viewing). Yet another option would be to paste a copied URL to a bowser's built-in "download" window if it is available in the browser. Older browsers/web page programming combinations and/or QT plugin.plugins may also still support the old "triangle" download option or the drag 'n drop of reference files from certain tutorial web pages to your desktop—but these but this is becoming more and more rare these days.

User uploaded file

download quicktime file

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.