Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

QT vs iTunes movie resolution

Is there any real difference between QuickTime or iTunes to play films?

I have DVDs converted to digital and wondering if there is any advantage one way or the other to play films with QT or thru iTunes? As it now I open I import into the MBA then move the file into iTunes. iTunes copies the file and I then delete the original (external back-up).

Seems like double work to me, but I cannot find anything to show if films played with QT is any different than played with iTunes.

Thanks

MacBook Air, OS X Mountain Lion, 256GB | 4GB RAM | late 2010

Posted on Oct 5, 2012 5:03 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 5, 2012 5:22 PM

iTunes uses QuickTime for playback. Default extension to "force" iTunes to be used is .m4v.

You can right click on the file icon and choose between playback options. iTunes supports "Airplay" (sends the file to an Apple TV) so the .m4v extension seems to make more sense.

But iTunes can also play .mov and .mp4 files, so, adding those extensions to your iTunes Library folder helps keep things organized.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 5, 2012 5:22 PM in response to atomicluck1

iTunes uses QuickTime for playback. Default extension to "force" iTunes to be used is .m4v.

You can right click on the file icon and choose between playback options. iTunes supports "Airplay" (sends the file to an Apple TV) so the .m4v extension seems to make more sense.

But iTunes can also play .mov and .mp4 files, so, adding those extensions to your iTunes Library folder helps keep things organized.

QT vs iTunes movie resolution

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.