Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Wired Mighty Mouse acting like single button mouse

Hello,

For the past 2 days my wired mighty mouse only processes the single click. None of the other buttons work. I have reset PRAM, restarted several times, created a new user to to see if it was isolated to a user profile. I also tried a secondary mighty mouse and same issue. I tried a Dell mouse and the right click works. None of the button work, I have switched them with various options and still just a single click mouse. Any help would be appreciated.

Is there a way to delete the current mouse preference or reset to default?

Processor 2 x 2.66 GHz Dual-Core Intel Xeon

Memory 6 GB 667 MHz DDR2 FB-DIMM

Graphics NVIDIA GeForce 7300 GT 256 MB

Software Mac OS X Lion 10.7.5 (11G63)

User uploaded file

Mac Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.3)

Posted on Oct 5, 2012 4:57 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 9, 2012 7:32 AM

I had the same problem with my Mighty Mouse.

I fixed it in the following way.

1. Install "USB Overdrive".

2. Set up the right click.

3. Check the right click is working.

4. Enable the "USB Overdrive". (checking option "Enable")

5. Set up the original mouse preference.

6. Check the right click is working.

7. Uninstall "USB Overdrive".

Hope this helps.

14 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 9, 2012 7:32 AM in response to XSHEDX

Hope this helps.

Oct 25, 2012 10:18 AM in response to sinoue

Both run 10.7.5. The Mac Book Pro was upgraded in two stages: firstly the original 10.7.5 and then I applied the supplemental update to 10.7.5. The iMac was upgraded to the original 10.7.5, then rolled back using time machine to 10.7.4 (I couldn't cope with my main machine on the original 10.7.5 with the time machine issues). I then applied the fixed version of 10.7.5 (which included the time machine/index fix). However, I then discovered that Time Machine was not backing up the recovery parition because I no longer had one on the iMac. This presumably arose because the restore to 10.7.4 did not restore that parition. The approved fix for this was to reinstall 10.7.5 on top of the 10.7.5 machine to get a recovery paritition. At that point, right-click stopped working! All of this was caused because of the faulty 10.7.5 release😕

Oct 25, 2012 10:25 AM in response to rchealey

You willing to bite the bullet and upgrade to 10.8?

I'm not sure why the 10.7.5 works fine with your right click wired mighty mouse on the Mac Book Pro, but not on the iMac, but if the timeframe of the 10.7.5 updates & time machine issues aligns with the loss in functionality then I think you've narrowed down the possible culprits.

Good luck on a OS X upgrade or reinstall. When you get it working again repost so anyone else running into this will benefit from your pereserverance!

Dec 31, 2012 3:12 PM in response to XSHEDX

Works for me.

Hope this helps.

Thanks killifish

Jan 28, 2013 8:38 AM in response to XSHEDX

hey,

I just talked to German Apple telephone suppert. They fixed the problem for me! With fresh installs of 10.7.5 the problem is, that two files are missing that are needed for the mouse. In my case I could get them from another computer I own that ran Lion and did have the files. To get to the files you need do this:

Go to

/System/Library/LoginPlugins/BezelServices.loginPlugin

control-click that file and choose "show contents"

now in the finder window navigate to

Contents/PlugIns/

In this folder should be two files named

AppleBluetoothHIDMouse.plist

and

AppleHIDMouse.plist

If you don't find these files, you need to get them and put them in.

Oct 25, 2013 5:29 AM in response to XSHEDX

FIXED! Not sure if this is still a hot topic but I recently unpacked an Apple Wireless Mouse which had been unused for a couple of years and tried it on my MacBook Pro running 10.7.5. The right-click function didn't work. I checked for the system HID files, as advised by another poster, and mine were complete. I tried curing the problem with USB Overdrive and that didn't work either. No function whatsoever could be assigned to the right click.

Then I found the 100% workaround.

Instead of letting my middle finger rest on the mouse (on the left-click area), I lifted it up in the air so that it wasn't touching the mouse. Eureka! Right-click worked.

Just occasionally, I also needed to lift up my 3rd finger as well - from its usual resting place down the left flank of the mouse (I'm left handed).

So, now that I know there is a flaw in either the mouse design or my finger, how can it be properly fixed? Should I ask Apple for a new mouse? Or my maker for new digits?

Jon

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.