Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac Pro hangs on shutdown

My Mac Pro OS X 10.7.5. Lion will hang ( grey screen ) with spinning wheel on shutdown.

I have also noticed that one or two of my external hard drives sometimes loses contact with computer. All are Seagates 3TB or 4TB and on occssion one will

not show on my desktop and will not be shown in disk utiliy. If I were to reboot the drive, it will then show up and I will have perfect access to all files on it.

Bob

Mac Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.7)

Posted on Oct 5, 2012 6:57 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 5, 2012 9:50 PM

Lion will hang ( grey screen ) with spinning wheel on shutdown.

Look in Console/Logs and see which process is hanging.

Network functions; ethernet, DNS, etc., may cause the hangs.

Time Machine can also cause the hangs.

External devices can also cause hangs (like external hard drives, printers, scanners, card readers).

Try disconnecting everything and shutting down.

If there is no hang, add one device and test.

And so on.....

one or two of my external hard drives sometimes loses contact with computer

USB? Most likely suspect if the externals are "turn key" like Free Agent, is the chipset of the enclosure is throwing an error.

Another possibility is drop in power from a flaky power supply.

If no external power supply, then that is the issue. USB has finite power. External drives should have their own power supplies.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 5, 2012 9:50 PM in response to Bob from Hobe Sound

Lion will hang ( grey screen ) with spinning wheel on shutdown.

Look in Console/Logs and see which process is hanging.

Network functions; ethernet, DNS, etc., may cause the hangs.

Time Machine can also cause the hangs.

External devices can also cause hangs (like external hard drives, printers, scanners, card readers).

Try disconnecting everything and shutting down.

If there is no hang, add one device and test.

And so on.....

one or two of my external hard drives sometimes loses contact with computer

USB? Most likely suspect if the externals are "turn key" like Free Agent, is the chipset of the enclosure is throwing an error.

Another possibility is drop in power from a flaky power supply.

If no external power supply, then that is the issue. USB has finite power. External drives should have their own power supplies.

Oct 7, 2012 3:20 PM in response to Bob from Hobe Sound

That's progress.

Two schools of thought regarding the external; turn key systems suck or they are the same as any other drive setup.

I fall into the first category. Regarding your issue, I lean to the Seagate as the issue. Not only can the chipset be an issue, but, if a low RPM drive (5400 "green" drive), it can easily drop out of a system and lose recognition. This would make TM hang the machine at shutdown due to backup services not being finished (because the drive isn't available).

So now what, reformat that 4TB drive and restart Time Machine ?

That is worth a try. Also, altering TM Preferences may also help.

Another option would be to eject the TM volume prior to shut down. This would force TM services to quit prior to OS services shut down.

Mac Pro hangs on shutdown

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.