Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Aperture 3.4 upgrade = Totally messed up library. HELP!

After upgrading Aperture to version 3.4 (via app store), I get the usual "your library needs to be upgraded to work with this version" etc. So, I went ahead with the library upgrade, and what once was a working and perfectly functional library is now full of "recovered photos" (that are 'unlinked', despite it being a managed library), missing projects, etc. There are folders of photostreams all over the place from my iPhone, and over 12,000 missing photos.

It's a huge mess and frankly I don't know what to do. I've restored the previous library from a Time Machine backup, but obviously now I can't open it without upgrading because I have the new Aperture.

Has anyone else had this problem? Is there a way to get the previous version of Aperture so that I can salvage my libraries? Honestly I don't even know what I should do because it just seems like hours and hours of work to get my library functioning again that I almost want to take this chance to switch to Lightroom.

I'm running OS 10.8.2 on a Macbook Retina.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

Aperture 3, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Oct 6, 2012 1:01 AM

4 replies

Oct 7, 2012 8:32 AM in response to ctsui19

Hi,

I have the same issue with Aperture 3.4 (build 34.1) Everyting fine (if I don't count the sloooww response on just about everything) until the last update... Importing is also not working anymore: I connect my camera, it gets properly recognised, including wat's on it's SD-card, I choose what to import and where, click on "import" and nothing happens. If I try to do this serveral times over, Aperture stops responding and I have to force quit it.

Letting Aperture repair the library at the next relaunch doesn't help, neither does ignoring this 'repair database' warning...

I'm opting for a 'manual' rebuild of the database, but I first need to figure out what files I can safely delete so that Aperture can recreate them. Clues anyone?

I'm running it ona a MacBook Pro (early 2008) with Mac OS X10.7.5.

Oct 8, 2012 9:18 PM in response to ctsui19

I am having the same issue, after ugrading (which gave me no choice) for the second time now. The first time I went to use Aperture it said I needed to upgrade and would not let me use my library unless I did, what a huge mistake and mess. Just as I thought I had everything sorted out and even made a new library, tonight another upgrade message shows up and what do you know, once again I have missing files and now my library is totally stuffed! I am pretty fed up! I am definitely going to look at using another program! With over 80,000 photos and now 8,000 missing or offline, I have lost faith in Aperture!

Aperture 3.4 upgrade = Totally messed up library. HELP!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.