Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Hard Drive Capacity for Late 2011 Macbook Pro

I am interested in purchasing a Western Digital WD Scorpio Black 750 GB SATA 3 GB/s 7200 RPM 16 MB Cache Internal Bulk/OEM 2.5-Inch Mobile Hard Drive for my MacBook Pro. I've never looked inside one of these things and I'm not sure if I can do it or not. How much space does it have for a hard drive...can I add another one? Is RAM another addition that will increase performance? I'm looking to optimize my Macbook Pro for professional use of Logic Pro and ProTools in the future. I know audio, but I'm just learning the intricacies of computer hardware. I'm being very cautious that I understand everything I do because I don't want to screw anything up. Any advice is greatly appreciated!

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.4), Late 2011; Intel Core i7; 2.4GHz;

Posted on Oct 6, 2012 12:24 AM

8 replies

Oct 6, 2012 12:34 AM in response to mgangirocks

Which model MBP do you have (for instance, 'late 2011')? Installing a new hard drive and RAM is a fairly simple process. I don't know anything about the hard drive you've selected but I do know that it will fit into your hard drive bay - the 750GB indicates the amount of storage. While you can use two hard drives, one in the hard drive bay and one in the optical bay, I wouldn't recommend it in your case. You also don't say how much RAM you have now - we'll need to know your model before we can recommend how much RAM you can install.

Please get back with your model - then someone will be able to tell you your options and how to go about installing your new drive.

Clinton

Oct 6, 2012 12:52 AM in response to clintonfrombirmingham

Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core i7

Memory 4 GB 1333 MHz DDR3

** My Mac contains 2 memory slots, each of which accepts a 1333 MHz DDR3 memory module.

Graphics AMD Radeon HD 6770M 1024 MB

Software Mac OS X Lion 10.7.4 (11E53)

Serial-ATA:

Vendor: Intel

Product: 6 Series Chipset

Link Speed: 6 Gigabit

Negotiated Link Speed: 3 Gigabit

Description: AHCI Version 1.30 Supported

TOSHIBA MK7559GSXF:

Capacity: 750.16 GB (750,156,374,016 bytes)

Model: TOSHIBA MK7559GSXF

Revision: GQ006B

Serial Number: XXXXXXXX

Native Command Queuing: Yes

Queue Depth: 32

Removable Media: No

Detachable Drive: No

BSD Name: disk0

Rotational Rate: 5400

Medium Type: Rotational

Partition Map Type: GPT (GUID Partition Table)

S.M.A.R.T. status: Verified

Volumes:

disk0s1:

Capacity: 209.7 MB (209,715,200 bytes)

BSD Name: disk0s1

Content: EFI

Macintosh HD:

Capacity: 749.3 GB (749,296,615,424 bytes)

Available: 432.26 GB (432,257,613,824 bytes)

Writable: Yes

File System: Journaled HFS+

BSD Name: disk0s2

Mount Point:

Content: Apple_HFS

Recovery HD:

Capacity: 650 MB (650,002,432 bytes)

BSD Name: disk0s3

Content: Apple_Boot

*** Not sure if this is relevant, but since I founded this question in audio I figured I'd add it.

Intel High Definition Audio:

Audio ID: 29

Headphone:

Connection: Combination Output

Speaker:

Connection: Internal

Line Input:

Connection: Combination Input

Internal Microphone:

Connection: Internal

S/PDIF Optical Digital Audio Input:

Connection: Combination Input

S/PDIF Optical Digital Audio Output:

External Microphone / iPhone Headset:

HDMI / DisplayPort Output:

Connection: Display

Oct 6, 2012 1:21 AM in response to mgangirocks

Well, alrighty, then...

What I'm assuming that you want to do with the WD internal is to take out your optical drive and place the WD in its place. Easily accomplished. Visit Other World Computing and look for a data doubler optical caddy... you install it and put your new WD internal in its place.

While you're at OWC, you might want to look at their RAM kits for your model. You can install (as I have) up to 16GB of RAM - 4GB is just not enough, 8GB is the 'sweet spot' and 16GB, the maximum, will allow you to run memory intensive apps concurrently and have less disk thrashing using swap space, etc. I would also look at memory from Crucial - but OWC and Crucial are likely 'tied' in their support for Macs. OWC also has detailed instructions and videos about replacing your optical drive with the WD hard drive - and you can find numerous videos of the same on YouTube.

Good luck - call with any more questions!

Clinton

Jan 6, 2016 4:47 AM in response to clintonfrombirmingham

I am seriously concerned about my SATA Drive. My Lion mirrored "mgangirocks" right up until Volumes:

Volumes:

disk0s1:

disk0s2:

Content: Apple_CoreStorage

Recovery HD:

Available: 93.4 MB (93,401,088 bytes)

Mount Point: /Volumes/Recovery HD

I was about to purchase

User uploaded file

Crucial 16GB Kit (8GBx2) DDR3L-1333 SODIMM Memory for Mac

CT3373674

• DDR3L PC3L-10600 • CL=9 • Unbuffered • NON-ECC • DDR3L-1333 • 1.35V • 1024Meg x 64 • lead free • halogen free • for Mac
  • upgrade for Apple MacBook Pro (17-inch, Late 2011) system.

But now I am freaking out that maybe it would be wasting money... Can you help explain what has happened? Thanks. Brenda

Jan 6, 2016 6:37 AM in response to mgangirocks

If you have a late 2011 MBP, I'd strongly suggest that you invest in one of these and use it faithfully:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005C31HC0?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=ox_sc_sfl_t itle_10&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

OWC (macsales.com) has good how-to videos for various MacBook Pro upgrades. Check them out to see if you are comfortable swapping in a new HD.

http://eshop.macsales.com/installvideos/

FWIW I'd probably get a fast 1TB HGST drive rather than the 750 GB WD drive.

Jan 6, 2016 8:10 AM in response to carl wolf

I am seriously concerned about my SATA Drive. My Lion mirrored "mgangirocks" right up until Volumes:

Volumes:

disk0s1:

disk0s2:

Content: Apple_CoreStorage

Recovery HD:

Available: 93.4 MB (93,401,088 bytes)

Mount Point: /Volumes/Recovery HD

I was about to purchase

User uploaded file

Crucial 16GB Kit (8GBx2) DDR3L-1333 SODIMM Memory for Mac

CT3373674

• DDR3L PC3L-10600 • CL=9 • Unbuffered • NON-ECC • DDR3L-1333 • 1.35V • 1024Meg x 64 • lead free • halogen free • for Mac
  • upgrade for Apple MacBook Pro (17-inch, Late 2011) system.

But now I am freaking out that maybe it would be wasting money... Can you help explain what has happened? Thanks. Brenda

• Carl, be nice.

The 16GB kit runs about $79, and I thought it was a great price.

The SATA drive is over $329, $200 shy of one quarter hour tuition.

I am Adobe intensive and have five classes this term.

If the problem is a hard drive then $79 is diesel fuel for the month.

I don't know how to put any of that hardware together but $79 is easier to find than $425+/-.

Only researched that SATA because every vendor was recommending a SATA also.

I am happy to have the machibe but never new the negative backstory.

Where have you bought DDR3L for $20?

Jan 26, 2016 7:26 AM in response to mgangirocks

I need to upgrade the DDR3 Memory from the out-of-the-box 2GBx2 to the 8GBx2 and can only fine DDR3L. Nearly every Geek Site online suggests the L will not make any difference if the machine does not call for it. Those same sites, specifically Mac oriented, also recommend the 8 vs 4GBx2 Apple stated as maximum.

After so many hard drive failures, I am ready to purchase another machine. However, Crucial seems to be reputable and the best resource for Mac users. They have an internal hard drive too, but changing the memory slots will be a first for me.

As an interim work-around, I purchased an external 5GB, wiped it, scanned it with ClamAVx, then created one partition and it is the dedicated scratch disk for all my Adobe programs. So far that has kept my MacBook Pro from getting hotted up and runs great.

If I can get the permissions problem resolved, I won't need a new machine.

Hope that helps. Brenda

Hard Drive Capacity for Late 2011 Macbook Pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.