Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

3G Download limits on iPhone 5?

I'm thinking of getting a iPhone 5 on a contract with an unlimited data allowance but wondered if there are any limits on how much you can download / upload via 3G ? I know there used to be a 20Mb then 50Mb limit for Apps on the iPhone 4 but does this still apply with IOS6 ? I've downloaded the manual and all I can see is this:

Download purchases using the cellular network: Go to Settings > iTunes & App Stores > Use Cellular Data. Downloading purchases and using iTunes Match over the cellular network may incur charges from your carrie

Does this mean there are now no limits imposed by Apple on downloads ?

What about BBC iPlayer, Netflix and uploading videos larger than 50Mb via 3G ?

For info I'm in the UK and thinking of getting the phone on the Three Network One Plan. This allows tethering which I'm assuming is limitless.

Any help appreciated.

G5 Dual 2Ghz/Dual Core 2.3Ghz/MacProQuad 3Ghz/MBP 2.2Ghz, Mac OS X (10.5.8)

Posted on Oct 6, 2012 7:13 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 6, 2012 7:21 AM

There is a download size limit for apps with iOS 6 which is currently 50MB.

Whatever the download size limit for apps is, it is the same regardless the iOS version.

Any upload limit with a 3rd party app depends on the app. FaceBook has an upload size limit and the same YouTube, etc. Any upload limit with a 3rd party app is not determined by Apple.

I'm not aware of any data streaming limit which is used by apps such as Netflix.

Downloading purchases and using iTunes Match over the cellular network may incur charges from your carrie

This means exactly that. Downloading purchases and using iTunes Match over the cellular network may incur charges from your carrier which has nothing to do with Apple.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 6, 2012 7:21 AM in response to Dynamicworm

There is a download size limit for apps with iOS 6 which is currently 50MB.

Whatever the download size limit for apps is, it is the same regardless the iOS version.

Any upload limit with a 3rd party app depends on the app. FaceBook has an upload size limit and the same YouTube, etc. Any upload limit with a 3rd party app is not determined by Apple.

I'm not aware of any data streaming limit which is used by apps such as Netflix.

Downloading purchases and using iTunes Match over the cellular network may incur charges from your carrie

This means exactly that. Downloading purchases and using iTunes Match over the cellular network may incur charges from your carrier which has nothing to do with Apple.

Feb 27, 2013 2:58 AM in response to g_eakin

Hi, I have similar issues, in that my unlimited 3G is about 20 times faster than my WiFi at work, but I am forced to download the largest apps on the slowest network!

The only way round your particular problem that I know of is to tether your phone to your PC/Laptop that runs iTunes by turning on WiFi hotspot. Make the purchase/download in iTunes and then either sync to your phone or check purchased items on your phone and download the individual tracks you want.

Hope this helps, given that you posted this a couple of months ago!

3G Download limits on iPhone 5?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.