Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Time Capsule disappears from Wireless connections

I use a Time capsule with a variety of wireless and wired Macs and have continous problems with the wireless Macs using time machine. A reboot of the Time Capsule will fix the issue for a few days but then it will disappear when Time Machine tries to connect, The wired machines have no problem and can always get connection to the Time Capsule wen Time Machine wants to backup.

It appears to be an issue with the AFP server on the Time Capsule. When connecting to the Time Capsule using "Go To Server" from finder, the wireless machines can always connect using smb, but when Time Machine is not working they fail to connect using afp.

Has anyone else seen this behaviour. Given I can always connect using smb, it does appear to be some form of software issue on the Time Capsule. The

Time Capsule is running the latest version of firmware 7.6.1 and the Macs are 10.8.2. The issue has been the same since 10.7.

Posted on Oct 6, 2012 7:54 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 6, 2012 1:49 PM

Yes, apple changed a lot of stuff in Lion and the next update of the TC firmware from 7.5 to 7.6 messed up a lot of stuff.. there are so many posts about the issues.. truly it would make you think Apple had lost the plot. The update to Mountain Lion.. did not bring the hoped for improvement.. on the contrary it seems to have exacerbated the issues.

Fact is the older firmware still works better.. I often recommend people go back to 7.5.2 if your TC is more than 1 year old.. early Gen 4 and every other version can go back.. later Gen 4 arrived with 7.6 and will not downgrade.. so kyboshes that as a fix for anyone with reasonably new TC.

You have done some good work discovering the issue is AFP.. if you check the TC log you will see a heap of messages which stare you in the face about AFP having issues.. yet Apple continue to ignore the problem.

At the moment.. the best bug fix is an electrical timer that shuts off the TC at midnight each night and powers it up again a minute later. Crude yes.. effective.. yes.. not the first time cheap end networking equipment has needed this kind of treatment. Seems we need to class the TC into that group now.

I haven't a proper network fix for you..

But note the following..

1. Upgrade installs seem to introduce a lot more wireless issues.. clean install of the OS is the way to go.. big pain in the BUTT I know but I have yet to see an OS successfully upgraded.. it just doesn't work like that.

2. Set the TC names for everything.. and I mean TC, wireless and hard disk to SMB compatible. (since SMB works.. !!) Ie Short, no spaces, pure alphanumeric.

3. I do not trust auto.. auto is someone else taking control.. so fix everything about wireless you can. That means.. different names for 2.4ghz and 5ghz so bands don't auto change. Fixed channels for the wireless.. so channels don't auto swap. Fix wireless mode even so wireless cannot swap eg N to G.

4. Use only WPA2 Personal security.. no other setting is designed for N wireless .. !! Keep passkey to relatively short.. ie more than 12 characters is seldom necessary.. pure alphanumeric. Unless you run an ICBM missle silo in your backyard or a fusion reactor.. security of wpa2 is very good.

5. If the TC is the main router in the network.. see if you can swap it to bridge mode and use another router.. I don't think this fixes it but might extend out the times between failures.

6. Set the DHCP lease time short.. I don't know why the computers seem to lose track of the TC name.. but keeping lease short .. ie 20min adds very little network traffic and might help to keep arp tables etc up to date.

As Han Solo says.. Good Luck.. your gonna need it.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 6, 2012 1:49 PM in response to robthedoc

Yes, apple changed a lot of stuff in Lion and the next update of the TC firmware from 7.5 to 7.6 messed up a lot of stuff.. there are so many posts about the issues.. truly it would make you think Apple had lost the plot. The update to Mountain Lion.. did not bring the hoped for improvement.. on the contrary it seems to have exacerbated the issues.

Fact is the older firmware still works better.. I often recommend people go back to 7.5.2 if your TC is more than 1 year old.. early Gen 4 and every other version can go back.. later Gen 4 arrived with 7.6 and will not downgrade.. so kyboshes that as a fix for anyone with reasonably new TC.

You have done some good work discovering the issue is AFP.. if you check the TC log you will see a heap of messages which stare you in the face about AFP having issues.. yet Apple continue to ignore the problem.

At the moment.. the best bug fix is an electrical timer that shuts off the TC at midnight each night and powers it up again a minute later. Crude yes.. effective.. yes.. not the first time cheap end networking equipment has needed this kind of treatment. Seems we need to class the TC into that group now.

I haven't a proper network fix for you..

But note the following..

1. Upgrade installs seem to introduce a lot more wireless issues.. clean install of the OS is the way to go.. big pain in the BUTT I know but I have yet to see an OS successfully upgraded.. it just doesn't work like that.

2. Set the TC names for everything.. and I mean TC, wireless and hard disk to SMB compatible. (since SMB works.. !!) Ie Short, no spaces, pure alphanumeric.

3. I do not trust auto.. auto is someone else taking control.. so fix everything about wireless you can. That means.. different names for 2.4ghz and 5ghz so bands don't auto change. Fixed channels for the wireless.. so channels don't auto swap. Fix wireless mode even so wireless cannot swap eg N to G.

4. Use only WPA2 Personal security.. no other setting is designed for N wireless .. !! Keep passkey to relatively short.. ie more than 12 characters is seldom necessary.. pure alphanumeric. Unless you run an ICBM missle silo in your backyard or a fusion reactor.. security of wpa2 is very good.

5. If the TC is the main router in the network.. see if you can swap it to bridge mode and use another router.. I don't think this fixes it but might extend out the times between failures.

6. Set the DHCP lease time short.. I don't know why the computers seem to lose track of the TC name.. but keeping lease short .. ie 20min adds very little network traffic and might help to keep arp tables etc up to date.

As Han Solo says.. Good Luck.. your gonna need it.

Oct 6, 2012 4:09 PM in response to LaPastenague

4. Use only WPA2 Personal security.. no other setting is designed for N wireless ..

Top tip LaPastenague

Amazingly, changing my network from WPA2 to WPA2/WPA2 Personal cured all of my TC error messages, TC drive mounting problems and intermittent wireless connectivity issues along with a boost in network transmission speed with my three month old iMac and weeks old GEN 4 TC.

I'd highly recommend starting with your fix #4 assuming folks have not overlooked their TC forgetting to set it for bridged mode if using it with an existing router performing NAT as the rest of my settings are the defaults generated by the Airport setup utility.

regards,

dave

Oct 6, 2012 11:59 PM in response to blackdogaudio

Thanks for the information. TC is on WPA2 Personal. I have no issues with wifi speed or reliability it is just that the AFP service disappears on wireless after few days preventing the successful use of Time Machine.

Looks like its time to buy an electrical timer to force a reboot every 24 hours.

Given this is to support a back-up service you would of thought someone at Apple would care about this.

Tim are you listening!

Oct 7, 2012 5:27 AM in response to robthedoc

Well decided the best approach is to use a script to reboot the Time Capsule on a regular basis. Had to hack some previous scripts on the Web to get to work using AirPort Utility 5.6.

tell application "AirPort Utility 5.6" to activate

delay 2

tell application "System Events"

tell application process "AirPort Utility 5.6"

tell window "AirPort Utility 5.6"

selectrow 2 in table 1 in scroll area 1

delay 1

click button "Manual Setup"

delay 1

end tell

click menu item "Restart…" in menu "Base Station" in menu bar 1

delay 1

tell window "AirPort Utility 5.6 - Robert Halliday's Time Capsule"

click button "Continue" in sheet 1

end tell

end tell

end tell

delay 10

tell application "AirPort Utility 5.6" to quit

Anyone more familiar with Applescript, improvements welcome. The script does appear to have problem reliably performing the click on the menu. It appears to work some of the time!?

The along with a calendar event as will as a scheduled on/off using Energy Saver should allow for a regular reboot - giving the script works!

Time Capsule disappears from Wireless connections

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.