Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Record live output from separate audio player

I've checked the various solutions on this site and elsewhere and I can't seem to get this to work. I have a 2009 iMac running MLion. I have Logic 9, and I'm using a Presonus StudioLive 16.4.2 mixer for my audio device. I'm trying to get the output from a separate audio player to be recordable "live". I know the various ways to import files and I can do that, but I occasionally want to take the live audio I'm hearing from within OSX and just be able to record it into Logic without have to import it. This is mainly for unique or proprietary audio that I can't import into logic, like jammit. I know others have stated they're able to get this to work with different audio interfaces and program (apogee and reaper is one example).

I can hear the audio playing through the Presonus and sound is showing up on the hardware meters, but when I create a track in Logic and arm it for recording on input 1-2 (the one showing output on the presonus) I never get any activity in the meters. I've tried setting up an aggregate device within audio/midi setup as well as an multioutput device. I've tried setting up the aggregate and changing the order in which I select the devices in every variation and still I can't seem to get the audio player output to show up "live" in logic so I can record it. I'm guessing that I must be missing something really simple within logic or my mixer but I can't seem to figure it out after trying multiple approaches.

I was able to get this to work by choosing soundflower as the sole input/output within osx and logic and it did record the audio within logic, but I couldn't hear the audio during playback, and could only listen to it if I switched back to the presonus afterwards. I happened upon this as a fluke because I had jammit playing in the background and I switched to soundflower within audio/midi setup and suddenly there was activity within the meters inside logic. But for some reason, if I change only the sound device to the presonus or built in output within osx and then logic, I can no longer see the audio within logic. I would prefer a solution where I can see/hear the output from the separate audio player within logic live.

Logic Studio, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Oct 6, 2012 9:02 AM

There are no replies.

Record live output from separate audio player

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.