Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I get iPhoto to run after power outage?

iPhoto will launch but does not show anything and I have to force quit. I have read info online regarding same, but I'm hesitant to try some suggestions because I have no back up.

Also... cannot find com.apple.iphoto.iphoto.plist on my computer if that's useful.

Please help!

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Oct 6, 2012 9:40 AM

8 replies

Oct 6, 2012 9:49 AM in response to LizzaKate

Backup your iPhoto library, depress and hold the option and command keys, launch iPhoto and rebuild your library.

Hopefully this will work. BUT since you have no backup you are 100% guaranteed to lose all your files including your photos sooner or later. And this might be the time. Your first priority should be to purchase an external hard drive at lease 1 1/2 times as large as your hard drive - larger is better - and start using Time Machine

LN

Oct 6, 2012 10:27 AM in response to LarryHN

Thank you!

Are your instructions: 1) Backup library then 2) depress and hold option and command OR am I backing up my library by depressing opt/com? I tried option/command + launch and it led me to a blank screen and spinning rainbow thing. (Does that thing have a name?)

Sorry... you're working with a real amateur here.

I did not know about Time Machine until this happened?? Still, I knew better. Gah. Will buy external HD today...

Oct 6, 2012 10:44 AM in response to LizzaKate

Here's the same thing that Larry suggested but stated a little differently (I hope): make a temporary, backup copy (select the library and type Command+D) and apply the two fixes below in order as needed:

Fix #1

Double click on iPhoto in the dock with the Command+Option keys held down and rebuild the library.

User uploaded file

Since only one option can be run at a time start with Option #1, followed by #3 and then #4 as needed.

Fix #2

Using iPhoto Library Manager to Rebuild Your iPhoto Library

• Download iPhoto Library Manager and launch.
  • Click on the Add Library button, navigate to your Home/Pictures folder and select your iPhoto Library folder.
  • Now that the library is listed in the left hand pane of iPLM, click on your library and go to the File ➙ Rebuild Library menu option
  • In the next window name the new library and select the location you want it to be placed.
  • Click on the Create button.

• Note: This creates a new library based on the LIbraryData.xml file in the library and will recover Events, Albums, keywords, titles and comments but not books, calendars or slideshows. The original library will be left untouched for further attempts at fixing the problem or in case the rebuilt library is not satisfactory.

Hope you can follow that.

OT

How can I get iPhoto to run after power outage?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
    A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.