Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mail won't mark as read

I have a number of rules set up that include asking mail to mark my messages as read. It works for some emails but not all. I can't figure out why. This includes the junk filter. I've set it thorugh advanced settings to mark as read but some wont.

Thoughts?

Need more details?

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.1)

Posted on Oct 6, 2012 10:33 AM

7 replies

Oct 6, 2012 1:46 PM in response to bendistraw

I don't have any rules trying to mark messages as read, but I do occasionally find that a message is resistant to being marked as read either by actually reading it or by manually marking it. I put it down to problems communicating with the IMAP server. (I store most of my email on IMAP servers.)

When you run into this problem, can you then mark the message as read manually?

Oct 7, 2012 10:07 AM in response to mr.k99

Good thought. I reviewed all the rules. A few others do include the "mark as read" rule but there shouldn't be any conflict because most are based on email sender. By that I mean, I set rules per email sender and then send them to specific boxes. No email addresss is in multiple rules.

Also, I've reduced the workload of the rules in teh following way: I used to have a rule for all marketing emails from brands by sender sent to a "buy me" folder marked as read. Now, I've edited my email address with those senders to a specific email address. Now, all emails to that new email alieas of mine are maked as read and sent to that folder.

Jul 27, 2015 11:54 PM in response to markwmsn

Hi Mark,

Could you let me know the solutions for unread mail issue which you have highlighted above.

I have recently configured my gmail in MAC pro book with Imap server. Normally fonts should be in bold when they are unread but after reading fonts should become normal to segregate between read & unread.

I would appreciate if you could let me know how to resolve it.

Regards,

Vicky Vani

Feb 27, 2016 8:14 AM in response to markwmsn

I'm having a similar problem. I'm using Mail with a Microsoft Exchange account, The problem has existed with Yosemite and El Capitan (even after current updates). Some messages will not remove the "unread mark" even after being viewed or opened outright.

Example: User uploaded file

I found that quitting the Mail application and opening it again clears the unread status, however it shortly returns. A second solution I've found which works is to select or deselect the "Organize by Conversation" option from the view menu:

User uploaded file Doing this seems to work, but again, you have to toggle between the setting every now and then when the problem recurs.

I have some rules for sorting mail to folders in my Exchange profile, but the rules seem to be working fine, and those messages are often also stuck in the "unread" status. I don't think the "bug" has anything to do with rules.

I sure wish Apple would FIX THIS! as it seems to be a problem that has existed for quite a while.

Mail won't mark as read

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.