Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Battery looks fully charged when plugged in, but computer won't turn on when the charger is out

My Macbook battery has been an absolute trooper since I first got the laptop in mid-2007. It's worked perfectly and has a cycle count of 1325 over the last 5 yrs. I hadn't noticed a decline in the time-length it would last in-between charges, either.

Then the other day my laptop would not turn on. I plugged it in and it powered up fine, but every time I remove the power cable it goes dead. The battery symbol in the top looks like it knows the power cable is plugged in, and the green light is on. But it says "not charging" in top toolbar.

I checked the battery's health by using coconutBattery, and it says that the battery is currently at 0% charge, but that the battery's capacity is still 98%.

Anyone know what is wrong?? I am not certain it is a problem with the battery itself, as it stopped working suddenly instead of declining, and apparently has an almost perfect capactiy even though it is over 5 yrs old?

Thanks!

MacBook, Mac OS X (10.7.5)

Posted on Oct 6, 2012 12:32 PM

9 replies

Oct 7, 2012 1:08 AM in response to sidlia84

Here is the battery information. I know it says the battery needs to be replaed, but at the same time it says it also has an almost 100% capacity.

Battery Information:

Model Information:

Manufacturer: DP

Device Name: ASMB016

Pack Lot Code: 2

PCB Lot Code: 0

Firmware Version: 102a

Hardware Revision: 500

Cell Revision: 102

Charge Information:

Charge Remaining (mAh): 0

Fully Charged: No

Charging: No

Full Charge Capacity (mAh): 4872

Health Information:

Cycle Count: 1325

Condition: Replace Now

Battery Installed: Yes

Amperage (mA): 18

Voltage (mV): 4388

AC Charger Information:

Connected: Yes

ID: 0x0100

Wattage (W): 60

Revision: 0x0000

Family: 0x0085

Serial Number: 0x00aa3be9

Oct 7, 2012 1:47 AM in response to sidlia84

sidlia84..... Note the contradiction of the readings of your battery that I highlighted in red:

sidlia84 wrote:

Here is the battery information. I know it says the battery needs to be replaed, but at the same time it says it also has an almost 100% capacity.

Battery Information:

Model Information:

Manufacturer: DP

Device Name: ASMB016

Pack Lot Code: 2

PCB Lot Code: 0

Firmware Version: 102a

Hardware Revision: 500

Cell Revision: 102

Charge Information:

Charge Remaining (mAh): 0

Fully Charged: No -- HUH?? Should say YES 'cause the Charge Remaining is "0;" i.e., it *IS* fully charged.

Full Charge Capacity (mAh): 4872

Health Information:

Cycle Count: 1325

Condition: Replace Now

Battery Installed: Yes

Amperage (mA): 18

Voltage (mV): 4388

AC Charger Information:

Connected: Yes

ID: 0x0100

Wattage (W): 60

Revision: 0x0000

Family: 0x0085

Serial Number: 0x00aa3be9

In an old Macbook I used to have, similar oddities occurred along with anomalous & contradictory battery reports just like what you're seeing. I originally thought the problem was Power Management software issues, which had me zapping PRAM over & over, blablabla, which gave short term relief but all to no eventual avail.

And 5 years..... my gosh.... wow. C'mon man... it's toast! hehe You *had* a great battery.

I vote REPLACE.

They don't cost much.

I got an 3rd-party battery for mine 2+ years back and though the shade of white of the battery was only slightly off from the shade of white of the rest of the bottom of my Macbook, it sure did run a whole heck of a lot better, and for a long time too, charger attached or no charger. Or you can drop the big bucks for an OEM Apple battery for perfect color matching.

Here's some batteries on Amazon for your Macbook, including Apple OEM's:

http://www.amazon.com/s?ie=UTF8&keywords=asmb016%20macbook%20battery&page=1&rh=n %3A172282%2Ck%3Aasmb016%20macbook%20battery

Good luck to ya

kevinkendall

Oct 7, 2012 8:15 AM in response to sidlia84

If you have a MacBook with the removable battery you can get a new third party battery fairly cheap on eBay. Every MacBook from 2006 through Mid 2009 except the Late 2008 Aluminum Unibody and the Late 2009 and 2010 White Unibodies use the same A1185 battery.

Black Batteries http://shop.ebay.com/i.html?_nkw=macbook+black+battery&_sacat=0&LH_BIN=1&_sop=12 &_dmpt=Laptop_Batteries&_odkw=macbook+white+battery&_osacat=0&_trksid=p3286.c0. m 270.l1313

White Batteries http://shop.ebay.com/i.html?_nkw=macbook+white+battery&_sacat=0&LH_BIN=1&_sop=12 &_dmpt=Laptop_Batteries&_odkw=macbook+black+battery&_osacat=0&_trksid=p3286.c0. m 270.l1313

Or for $129 from The Apple Store http://store.apple.com/us/product/MA566LL/A?mco=MTY3ODQ5OTY

Oct 7, 2012 9:23 AM in response to frederic1943

If it's a Macbook with a 5-year-old battery in it, it's definitely a replaceable battery...... that'd be 2007 or so. Only $20-$30 bucks for one from that era from a good company that'll guarantee everything about it except maybe the precise color matching. But then, most 5-yr-old Macbooks ain't gonna be all that new-looking & stain-free anyways.😝 Been there, done that.

And by the way, I'd recommend going with a company selling thru Amazon. More reputable sellers sell thru Amazon than eBay.

KK

Oct 7, 2012 12:00 PM in response to sidlia84

Thanks for all the feedback guys, I know I should be grateful the battery has lasted as long as it has! Have just bought a replacement one from here, as the company offers a 3-year warrenty so I thought it would be just as safe (if not more so) than buying from the Mac store with a one yr warrenty. Plus it cost £15.50 compared to £140...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/5600mAh-Battery-Apple-MacBook-13-Black-MAC-A1181-UK-ST OCK-/140810406473?pt=UK_Computing_LaptopsAccessories_LaptopBatteries&hash=item20 c8f44a49#ht_3497wt_1158

Battery looks fully charged when plugged in, but computer won't turn on when the charger is out

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.