Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how can i download apps for a ipod second generation

I have an ipod 2nd generation, i know i can't download the ios4 or 5, but i cant download any apps because i need to update but i can't. is there any way around this?

iPod touch

Posted on Oct 6, 2012 1:56 PM

8 replies

Oct 6, 2012 2:19 PM in response to BrookeKathryn

That is right. Those apps require a higher iOS that 4.2.1. You need a newer model iPod to use those apps now. Just like I said in my first reply.

BrookeKathryn wrote:

I can't downloads apps such as instagram, twitter, facebook, even games apps. Its comes up with ' update required, this app requires ios 5' and when I try to update my ipod it says that there's no update. I know that my ipods only a 2nd gen so it won't update more, but I still can't download apps

Oct 6, 2012 2:35 PM in response to lllaass

I believe some of those apps were once compatible with lower iOS's, and the 2nd gen iPods, but they have likely all been updated to be compatible with newer OS's now. If you didn't install them when they were compatible, you can't install the newer versions now. And if you did install them, you simply can't update, but they should still be on your iPod.

Jan 12, 2013 3:26 AM in response to lllaass

Mate, this really isn't hard to understand.

I bought my ipod touch, have had apps on it since i bought it (i.e. sheep launcher free), they have always worked. I recently formatted my ipod and re-installed the 4.3 update, and as the posters here state, the apps which USED TO WORK FINE now say "requires ios5" or "requires ios 4.4" before downloading, both of which are incompatible with the ipod, making most of the apps that used to work fine completely unatainable.

Why are apps we have ALWAYS used now completely unavailable? Apple, are you really trying to deterr your customers into purchasing a newer device? Why would you want to intentionally annoy your clientele?

Fix this problem please, or you've lost a dedicated customer. I have over 5 ipods. I won't be buying another one if this kinda thing continues - you just forgot about your customers with older devices, i mean microsoft still produce updates for XP, an OS over 10 years old. Why can you not extend the same support for your older customers?

Jan 18, 2013 9:11 AM in response to euniqe

I agree. It is really disappointing to have bought an ipod touch that cant even download the new apps that I want. It has not much use anymore. Please just be considerate of your old customers that have made apple what it is now.

If this goes on, your customers would eventually stop buying the new apple products because the same thing would happen to the iphone.

how can i download apps for a ipod second generation

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.