Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to update my Ipod touch 4g .

I'm having trouble updating my Ipod Touch 4g from software version 4.2.1. I lostit about a year ago and found it a couple of months ago. and it was working fine it let me download certain apps without it saying you need IOS 4.3 or Ios 5. and when I go into Settings>General, I see nothing sbout an available update. there are certain apps I cannot download because it says I need IOS verison either 4.3 or 5. Ive tried updating it fro itunes but it doesnt work, it says Itunes is the current version. Please help, I've tried everything. I've rested it and completley resetted it ( erasing everything.)

iPod touch, iOS 4.2

Posted on Oct 6, 2012 2:14 PM

12 replies

Oct 6, 2012 2:16 PM in response to alyx3

Plug you iPod into your computer and open iTunes.Then, open your iPod's summary page in iTunes and it should say that there is a new software version (6.0) available. Go ahead and click download and update. Leave your iPod plugged in until the update completes. It may take up to 2 hours to update depending on the speed of your internet and how may apps and songs you have. The software update tab insettings is only available on iOS 5 and newer. iOS 4.2.1 doesn't support that.

Apr 19, 2013 7:24 AM in response to Vijaya Sankara

I suspect you have a 2G iPod. Those can only go to iOS 4.2.1.

Identifying iPod models

iPod touch (3rd generation)

iPod touch (3rd generation) features a 3.5-inch (diagonal) widescreen multi-touch display and 32 GB or 64 GB flash drive. You can browse the web with Safari and watch YouTube videos with Wi-Fi. You can also search, preview, and buy songs from the iTunes Wi-Fi Music Store on iPod touch.

The iPod touch (3rd generation) can be distinguished from iPod touch (2nd generation) by looking at the back of the device. In the text below the engraving, look for the model number. iPod touch (2nd generation) is model A1288, and iPod touch (3rd generation) is model A1318.

Vijaya Sankara wrote:

Hi

I'm also facing the same issue. My IOS is 4.2.1 and I'm unable to update to the latest iOS5 or 6. Update button on Itunes says this is the latest version.

I downloaded the latest 11 version of itunes, but still the same. I'm windows7 version. Can you please help me how to get iOS updated to 6"?

Aug 4, 2013 11:27 AM in response to j.kisses

Start a new deiscussion. Include:

- what is currnet iOS version

- What happens when you try

- What model iPod you have

j.kisses wrote:

Hello , im also having trouble trying to change my ipod to the new ios 5 version...

My situation how ever is that this was my sisters ipod , and it wont let me update or restore on my laptop ..

If you could help me that would be great !

Thanks

Aug 15, 2013 6:50 AM in response to alyx3

Hey alyx3,

I was having the same problem for a very long time. I couldn't figure out why my ipod wouldn't let me update to ios5. I figured it had something to do with my iTunes not being the right version, but whenever I tried to update iTunes it always said I had the current version. This is because we have older macs (10.5.8) so iTunes 10.7 isn't an option. There is now an iTunes version 10.6.3 that solves this problem. I just finished downloading it and have updated my iPod touch to ios 6. Hope this solves everything for you. Good luck!

-David

How to update my Ipod touch 4g .

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.