Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

where does iphone backup when hooked to mac

When I plug my iphone into my Mac. It automatically backups up when iTunes launches. Where does it backup to and can I turn this off?

Posted on Oct 6, 2012 3:52 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 6, 2012 5:18 PM

Open iTunes and connect iPhone. Scroll to bottom of iTunes to Options and select the ones you want or don't want.

Regarding the Back Up Location on computer here is quote from Participant wjosten:

Your iPhone backup is stored here, where ~ is your user account:

~/Library/Application Support/MobileSync/Backup/

You may have to turn on show all hidden files & folders to see it.

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 6, 2012 5:18 PM in response to Maryshka

Open iTunes and connect iPhone. Scroll to bottom of iTunes to Options and select the ones you want or don't want.

Regarding the Back Up Location on computer here is quote from Participant wjosten:

Your iPhone backup is stored here, where ~ is your user account:

~/Library/Application Support/MobileSync/Backup/

You may have to turn on show all hidden files & folders to see it.

Oct 7, 2012 6:55 AM in response to diesel vdub

No need to get nasty! Unlike the rest of the populous, I don't care to have my iphone backup onto whatever computer it is plugged into. In fact, the iphone that is now backedup on my computer isn't even my phone. Unlike the rest of you, I don't like APPLE automatically putting my Apple ID on someone else's phone, which it did the minute I plugged the phone in. I have had a Mac since 1994 and HATE all this automatic downloading that the Apple gurus have decided is necessary. Perhaps it is only a "complete moron" that would allow Apple to automatically take all your information and store it for you so that you no longer have control of your own information. Just another way to DUMB DOWN the next generation. Perhaps you like it, but I don't.

Oct 7, 2012 7:25 AM in response to diesel vdub

Such a nasty nasty group of replies.

I have read the messages that show up on the screen and I have turned off everything in iTunes that I do not want it to automatically do. My only questions was... Is there a way to stop it from automatically backing up to my computer. It was a simple question. A simple NO would have suffice instead of all the bashing.

Somehow the iPhone does have my Apple ID on it. Perhaps it is because I purchased the phone and it is associated with my account, which I didn't think of until now. I only noticed it on the phone when I plugged it into my computer. I was expecting it to show up as a hard drive like every other external device I've ever plugged into my Mac. I am new to the iphone SO I am sorry I do not know everything there is to know about them.

I assume that is what a "community forum" was for. To HELP and not BASH! I guess I am mistaken.

Oct 7, 2012 8:20 AM in response to Maryshka

Just to 'Help' and not to 'Bash', my personal experiences are that having backups enabled (both in iCloud and on my Mac) is a VERY secure and safe set of options, even if I have to select each option independently in order to benefit from both!

Having had a Mac failure and a 'connected device' failure in succession, I've been able to recover both from backups (including a Time Capsule in the mix) without ANY data-loss, solely because of having adequate backups in the 'Apple' world linked to my AppleID.

I have friends who think that Apple has some 'other' motive for backups: something to do with spying on individuals (or other mistaken reasoning).

Someone said "Just because you're paranoid, doesn't mean that they're not out to get you!", but who is SO important that Apple would waste their time using their SERVICES to HARM any individual by spying on them? If an individual is worried about 'others' having access to Apple, then perhaps that individual needs to think more about their possibly 'questionable' activities which might make that individual a target for the 'others' about whom they are so concerned?

To me, if a company offers a service and breaks its own rules surrounding that service then SUE THEM FOR THE BENEFIT OF ALL!! Otherwise, use the service, wisely, for your own benefit! 😉

where does iphone backup when hooked to mac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.