Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I am trying to Capture video but get error message before complete

but after about 9 minutes capture stops saying not enough disc space. The video is about 75 minutes, but I can't capture but the first 9 minutes. Im using external HD connected w/firewire cable with 370+GB available space. Last week I captured a 49 minute segment w/no trouble, why this message now? Frustrating. Any suggestions appreciated.

MacBook Pro and iMac, Mac OS X (10.4.11), 2 GHz Intel Core Duo 1GB 667 MHz RAM

Posted on Oct 6, 2012 3:27 PM

5 replies

Oct 7, 2012 6:26 AM in response to jnalexclt

Hi

As Alchroma referes to.

Most probably the space on the Start-Up (Mac OS) Hard Disk is to low. Other hard disks OF NO INTEREST as neither the application nor Mac OS can address them for the temp. files they make and NEEDS to store - and only place is the BOOT Drive.

So You must free up space here - My minimum are

• for SD-Video work - 25Gb free space as MINIMUM

• for HD - then 4-5 times more makes things run nice and smothly

Yours Bengt W

Oct 24, 2012 6:38 PM in response to Bengt Wärleby

Thank you both. Sorry about the delay in replying but I've not had the opportunity. My Mac OS Hard Disk has approximately 14GB available. Not the 25Gb Bengt W recommended. That's about the same space that was available when I transferred the 49 minute VHS into FCExp with no difficulty and no warnings about running out of disc space. I hope to have some time this weekend to clear the laptop so I'll have the 25Gb. Get back to you guys then. Thanks. I appreciate the help.

Oct 24, 2012 7:26 PM in response to Alchroma

I will check my external drive. If it is formatted FAT 16/32 rather than Mac OS Extended what is the way to re-format? Will I lose all files on the drive if I don't transfer them to another hard drive or disc? THanks for the help. All these problems came as my work load increased, so I haven't had the opportunity to respond to you guys. I do hope to find some time this weekend. just hope I don't have to re-format, but I may. On my internal Mac Drive I have only 14 Gb available and another who is graciously helping me says I'll need 25Gb. Any clues why I was able to transfer 49 minutes w/out incident a week or so before this problem when I changed nothing during that time? Appreciate the help.

john

I am trying to Capture video but get error message before complete

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.