Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Workaround for remote with Apple TV + Mac Mini media server?

We have to keep unplugging and then replugging our Apple TV 2 any time we want to use our Mac Mini media server instead of the Apple TV on our home entertainment system. Alas, the lack of a power button.

The reason we have to do this is because the remote control signals are identical for the two units; we're using Plex TV on the Mac Mini, and when we use our universal remote, if the Apple TV is on, then unintended things happen in the background on the Apple TV any time we control the Plex media server. Ack. We could end up buying a video that we don't want.

What workarounds are there, to avoid plugging and unplugging the Apple TV, if we want to keep using a remote control with both the Apple TV and with the Mac Mini media server? I understand that plugging and unplugging it is not desireable.

On the other hand, we do shut off power completely to our entire entertainment system, via the power conditioner, when we're not using it, to conserve. I suppose that's equivalent to plugging and unplugging the Apple TV?

Your thoughts?

Mac mini (Mid 2011), OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Oct 6, 2012 5:41 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 4, 2014 10:58 AM

I know its been 17 months since anyone replied to your post, but I stumbled upon your request, because I had the same issue. However, I can faithfully say that I solved this same problem, because I inadvertendly programmed my MX-980 remote to control my Apple TV and Mac Mini at the same time and didn't realize until much later what was happening. I use my Mac Mini (for the purpose of using PLEX) and my Apple TV for other purposes. Here's a discussion I had over at remotecontrol.com about it.

The solution for you is have two Apple remotes. You can buy an extra apple remote at a good price over at Amazon.

Out of box, the apple remote is designed to pair with your Mac and Apple TV as long as pairing is enabled on those machines by default. However, it's the consumer's responsibility to physically pair that remote with the machine you want to control so it can't control any other machine. That's the trick you were missing...

So, if you have an Apple TV and Mac Mini next to each other -- a single Apple Remote will control BOTH machines at the same time out of box. This is not the intended result as you have indicated. Therefore you need two apple remotes.

Mac Mini: Once you have two apple remotes, go to your Mac Mini (OSX 10.9) and select under the Apple menu > Preferences > Security > General > Click unlock (bottom left corner) first > sign in > Then click Advanced... to see the Pairing process. If you click advanced *before* you click unlock icon, the pairing menu will be missing.

Note: You can also install free CandleAir preference for your Mac which is a slick interface for configuring apple remotes faster and easier IMHO. http://www.iospirit.com/labs/candelair/

Apple TV: Now take your second Apple Remote, go to Apple TV > Preferences > General > Remote and follow the on screen instructions to properly pair your remote control.

This should solve your problem.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 4, 2014 10:58 AM in response to Opally

I know its been 17 months since anyone replied to your post, but I stumbled upon your request, because I had the same issue. However, I can faithfully say that I solved this same problem, because I inadvertendly programmed my MX-980 remote to control my Apple TV and Mac Mini at the same time and didn't realize until much later what was happening. I use my Mac Mini (for the purpose of using PLEX) and my Apple TV for other purposes. Here's a discussion I had over at remotecontrol.com about it.

The solution for you is have two Apple remotes. You can buy an extra apple remote at a good price over at Amazon.

Out of box, the apple remote is designed to pair with your Mac and Apple TV as long as pairing is enabled on those machines by default. However, it's the consumer's responsibility to physically pair that remote with the machine you want to control so it can't control any other machine. That's the trick you were missing...

So, if you have an Apple TV and Mac Mini next to each other -- a single Apple Remote will control BOTH machines at the same time out of box. This is not the intended result as you have indicated. Therefore you need two apple remotes.

Mac Mini: Once you have two apple remotes, go to your Mac Mini (OSX 10.9) and select under the Apple menu > Preferences > Security > General > Click unlock (bottom left corner) first > sign in > Then click Advanced... to see the Pairing process. If you click advanced *before* you click unlock icon, the pairing menu will be missing.

Note: You can also install free CandleAir preference for your Mac which is a slick interface for configuring apple remotes faster and easier IMHO. http://www.iospirit.com/labs/candelair/

Apple TV: Now take your second Apple Remote, go to Apple TV > Preferences > General > Remote and follow the on screen instructions to properly pair your remote control.

This should solve your problem.

Workaround for remote with Apple TV + Mac Mini media server?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.