Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't launch certain apps, error message

The problem began right after I downloaded and installed a trial of ProTools software by Avid. After it finished up installing, it told me I had to restart my computer. So I did. When I logged back in I attempted to launch ProTools, but all it gave me was an error message saying there was a problem, followed by a lot of small complicated text. Then when I tried to open some other programs, including: iTunes, Garageband, iPhoto, and Software Update, it gave me the same message. A lot of my other programs still run just fine though. Below is report it gave me, if it helps at all. I am running OSX Lion on a Macbook pro. Thanks to anyone taking the time to help me out 🙂

Process: Pro Tools [878]

Path: /Applications/Avid/*/Pro Tools.app/Contents/MacOS/Pro Tools

Identifier: com.digidesign.ProTools

Version: 10.0 (10.0f821)

Build Info: Unknown-1000821~821

Code Type: X86 (Native)

Parent Process: launchd [175]

Date/Time: 2012-10-06 19:11:29.157 -0700

OS Version: Mac OS X 10.7.5 (11G56)

Report Version: 9

Interval Since Last Report: 122650 sec

Crashes Since Last Report: 417

Per-App Crashes Since Last Report: 8

Anonymous UUID: C91CB8B8-B259-488B-958B-E866ED8E1A31

Crashed Thread: 0

Exception Type: EXC_BREAKPOINT (SIGTRAP)

Exception Codes: 0x0000000000000002, 0x0000000000000000

Application Specific Information:

dyld: launch, loading dependent libraries

Dyld Error Message:

Library not loaded: /System/Library/Frameworks/WebKit.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/WebCore.frame work/Versions/A/WebCore

Referenced from: /System/Library/Frameworks/WebKit.framework/Versions/A/WebKit

Reason: no suitable image found. Did find:

/System/Library/Frameworks/WebKit.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/WebCore. framework/Versions/A/WebCore: open() failed with errno=-22

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.5)

Posted on Oct 6, 2012 7:23 PM

7 replies

Oct 7, 2012 1:55 PM in response to Rybo2

...maybe the computer didn't restart correctly when I installed the trial?

Perhaps. Have you tried restarting again?

Your log shows OS 10.7.5. Does that include the OS 10.75 Supplemental Update? If not, try it. Also, Avid shows that the system software requirements for Pro Tools 10 and Pro Tools 10 HD is "Mac OS X 10.6.7 (Snow Leopard) through 10.7.4 (Lion)." So, perhaps the clich is with Pro Tools not being compatible with 10.7.5. Consider checking with Avid Support and their user forums.

Rybo2 wrote:

...when I tried to open some other programs, including: iTunes, Garageband, iPhoto, and Software Update, it gave me the same message. A lot of my other programs still run just fine though.

Try logging in as a different User and see if all those applications work.

HTH

Oct 7, 2012 5:32 PM in response to Rybo2

The apps that you listed that do not work are all Apple apps. Those are probably built using their webkit. Your log show that your system is missing the webcore file and the path to it should be:

HD/System/Library/Frameworks/WebKit.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/WebCore.fram ework/Versions/A/WebCore

There could be other pertainent files missing but once crashed, you don't know. It could have happend after you updated to OS 10.7.5 but not known until the restart with the Avid Pro Tools installation. You could try (a) reinstalling the OS 10.7.5 combo update or (b) restore from a reliable backup clone (possibly pre-10.7.5) or (c) reinstall the OS.

HTH

Oct 7, 2012 11:05 PM in response to Rybo2

That's great news, Ryan!

Rybo2 wrote:

...I have one more question though, will this problem reoccur if I try to get the Pro Tools trial again? Or should it work, now that I have the combo update? Thanks a bunch.

Hmm...if you have a backup clone of your computer with the previous instance of OS 10.7.5, check to see if that backup has the webcore file. If the file is there, then it seems likely that the trial version of Avid Pro Tools 10 may not work. If you don't have a backup to check for that and the fact that Avid states compatibility only up to 10.7.4, then consider asking Avid Tech Support or post what happened in the Pro Tools Community Forum. Note: In that forum, there is an announcement from 10/2/2012 that Pro Tools 10.3.1 is now available. So, perhaps the trial version will get an update...

...Thanks a bunch.

You're welcome. Good luck. 😉

Can't launch certain apps, error message

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.