Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

disk cleanup

How do I perform disk cleanup on my macbook?

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.5)

Posted on Oct 7, 2012 12:37 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 7, 2012 12:49 AM

What exactly is it that you want to accomplish? If you simply want to free up hard drive space, you're going to have to start deleting some files. I would suggest that you start with your Documents folder, making sure that you backup any files that are important to you or that you feel you might need in the future. Some people believe that applications take up a lot of disk space - usually they don't. However, if there are apps that you no longer use or need, it can't hurt to trash them as well.

I would not use anything such as CCCleaner, MacKeeper or any type of 'cleaning' app the rid your drive of files - those apps can be dangerous. Instead, just do some housekeeping. And I would backup any documents that you trash - perhaps to DVD, an external drive or even a USB flash drive.

Good luck,

Clinton

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 7, 2012 12:49 AM in response to Libby365

What exactly is it that you want to accomplish? If you simply want to free up hard drive space, you're going to have to start deleting some files. I would suggest that you start with your Documents folder, making sure that you backup any files that are important to you or that you feel you might need in the future. Some people believe that applications take up a lot of disk space - usually they don't. However, if there are apps that you no longer use or need, it can't hurt to trash them as well.

I would not use anything such as CCCleaner, MacKeeper or any type of 'cleaning' app the rid your drive of files - those apps can be dangerous. Instead, just do some housekeeping. And I would backup any documents that you trash - perhaps to DVD, an external drive or even a USB flash drive.

Good luck,

Clinton

disk cleanup

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.