Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone maps disappeared

Hello

I have an iphone 4s and yestereday the maps disappeared. I have the map icon but when I go into it there are no maps there. It knows where i am but I cannot see any roads etc.

Can anyone suggest anything.

Posted on Oct 7, 2012 2:35 AM

9 replies

Oct 7, 2012 2:42 AM in response to terrykenton

Appleswitched from the old Google Maps to Apple Maps so it may look different. But there are settings to change to satellite view or hybrid view if you tap the lower right corner where it looks like a peeling piece of paper

If you want google, your only option is maps.google.com and you can add it to the homescreen.

Check the forum as there are a lot of unhappy people and Tim Cook published an apology to customers.

Oct 8, 2012 11:06 PM in response to 2hype2000

Hi 2hype2000.

The problem is now solved for me. I phoned Apple support who informed me that the IO6 update was probably not completed successfully on my phone and they told me to restore the original settings. This I have done and the maps are now working.

However, make sure you have everything backed up first. I did, but still had issues getting my apps back on my iPhone. They were in iTunes and i had to put them back on. A bit of a pain if you have a lot and use directories like i do, but at least it is all back now.

Good luck.

Nov 4, 2012 8:53 PM in response to terrykenton

My Maps icon has disappeared too. Unfortunately, with 47 apps in 8 folders, I'm don't feel the Apple Map app is worth having to reload and format everything.

The "restore will to factory defaults" will reproduce the Map app, but if I follow that with ""restore from backup" to load all my apps and settings, it will delete it again.

Grrrr! Apple should have a way to permit us to download it's 10 core apps when this happens, rather than telling us to start from scratch again.

iPhone maps disappeared

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.