Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why does my mac desktop screen have black smoke like areas at the top of the screen on both sides?

I have had my IMAC now a little over a year and now all of a sudden there is black smoke like marks on the top of both sides of the screen. Like exactly where the fans are. Is this telling me the fans have caused the screen to do this? I see I am not the only one with this issue. What is going on with these computers? I am begining to think its an APPLE flaw. What a shame for those of us that didnt have an extended warranty plan. Apple I believe this is your issue and it needs to be fixed for everyone. So what am I to do with this now? Makes it very odd too look at and its spreading. What are the soulutions here?

Posted on Oct 7, 2012 2:24 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 7, 2012 5:41 AM

Do you smoke near your computer?

The fans pull in outside air and whatever is lingering in it. The stuff in the air settles on the backside of the dislay glass.

The "fix" is easy. Clean the glass.

Buy two 4 inch suction cups from a hardware store. Unplug the iMac and rest it on its back on a carpet. Apply the suction cups and gently pull up. The glass is held in place by magnets.

Clean the glass and allow it to dry. Hold it with the suction cups and set it back in place. Clean the rings made by the suction cups.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 7, 2012 5:41 AM in response to Kquig

Do you smoke near your computer?

The fans pull in outside air and whatever is lingering in it. The stuff in the air settles on the backside of the dislay glass.

The "fix" is easy. Clean the glass.

Buy two 4 inch suction cups from a hardware store. Unplug the iMac and rest it on its back on a carpet. Apply the suction cups and gently pull up. The glass is held in place by magnets.

Clean the glass and allow it to dry. Hold it with the suction cups and set it back in place. Clean the rings made by the suction cups.

Why does my mac desktop screen have black smoke like areas at the top of the screen on both sides?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.