Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

ios 6 and macosx 10.5 on a pre intel minime?

just upgraded my sons ipod touch 4g to iOS6 and now it cannot connect anymore to his MiniMe G4 1,42GHz on MACosX 10.5.

afaik an upgrade to a more recent version of MACosX is only available to Intel Users. A downgrade of the Ipod to iOS 5.1.1 is denied "not eligible for this build".

short of buying a new MacMini what can I do?

Best

Michael

Message was edited by: mimoser67

iPod touch, iOS 6

Posted on Oct 7, 2012 6:26 AM

22 replies

Oct 9, 2012 10:48 PM in response to lllaass

so if I get that correctly

– a six year old G4 MacMini is no longer supported, whereas an eight year old Windows machine is,

– there is no way to downgrade an accessory (iPod) to fit the main computer in use (MacMini G4),

– I will have to buy a new Mac for my seven year old son, so he can use his second hand iPod,

– …

😠

Maybe I will have to rethink my home computer strategy after 17 years of Mac use and Mac evangelism and replace my sons MacMini with a Windows machine, which will

– be a lot cheaper

– still be a lot more compatible and versatile

– have better longtime support on the software side

– have better longtime support for iTunes

At present we have four Macs running in our household, two Airport bases and this is the first time I am really pixxed with apple as a manufacturer, because of their longtime software support. Buy a new mac because of an iOS upgrade – are they crazy??

sorry

Michael

Oct 10, 2012 2:45 PM in response to DigitalWx

There is no new information to provide. All the relevant information is already included in this discussion. Downgrading the iOS is not supported by Apple.

DigitalWx wrote:

I just updated my daughter's ipod touch 4g to ios6 also. Now I cannot connect to itunes 10.5.2 with a MDD G4 pre-intel running 10.5.8. Says itunes must be 10.6.8. But, I cannot run the latest version of itunes on my pre-intel machine. Apple dont tell me my daughter is now screwed.

How do I fix this? I need to get back to ios5!

Oct 11, 2012 9:03 AM in response to mimoser67

as I found out from other threads in this forum and information gathered elsewhere downgrading iOS6 is not necessary. It is sufficient to download iTunes 10.6.3:
http://appldnld.apple.com/iTunes10/041-6244.20120611.BbHi8/iTunes10.6.3.dmg

This iTunes Version is compatible with MacOS 10.5.8 and G4 processors and also able to sync with iOS6 devices. As it is not the latest version AppleUpdate does not install it automatically, so you have to download manually and install it from the diskimage.

Works and my sons iPod-MacMini combo is "saved".

🙂

Michael

Dec 10, 2012 1:11 PM in response to mimoser67

well, it did wor after all... the ipod was at ios6.0...and I had not nooticed that the ipod was"slowly" downloading the iso 6.0.1 while trying to sync,, and got the error message that the ipod OS was too old: cuz it was ios 6.0! Duh!

So after installing iso 6.0.1 on ipod, I synched to itunes 10.6.3 with OSX10.5.8 and my photos reappeared, and my songs as well... But I am missing all my apps which did not sync !!

Dec 10, 2012 1:11 PM in response to Michel Vézina

well, it did work after all... the ipod was at ios6.0...and I had not nooticed that the ipod was"slowly" downloading the iso 6.0.1 while trying to sync,, and got the error message that the ipod OS was too old: cuz it was ios 6.0! Duh!

So after installing iso 6.0.1 on ipod, I synched to itunes 10.6.3 with OSX10.5.8 and my photos reappeared, and my songs as well... But I am missing all my apps which did not sync !!

ios 6 and macosx 10.5 on a pre intel minime?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.