Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I have 2 Apple ID's one from 2008 which is an email account I no longer use. Can I terminate this account and just use the preferred one?

I have 2 Apple ID's one from at least 5 years ago which I no longer use - last purchase 2008. It is linked to an email account which I no longer use regularly. I established this account on my laptop which I use in the city where I work. The newer account uses an Apple ID which I use to purchase music and relates to an email account I now use at my home PC in another community. Can I somehow terminate the old apple account and ID? Will i lose anything? It is causing problems syncing my iPod. Wisely I have decided to sync only with my home PC from here on. Advice would be appreciated.

iPod touch, Windows 7

Posted on Oct 7, 2012 5:47 AM

2 replies

Oct 7, 2012 6:16 AM in response to canoehead1

Having read some other posts I think I have answered my question. If I was somehow able to terminate my old (unwanted) account and Apple ID I would no longer be able to access the material I bought with that ID- so I'm stuck. I have to learn how to manage that situation.

This is unfortunate for Apple consumers. Life is complicated for families these days and this "rule" although it is in place to prevent cheating and fraud makes things unnnecessarily difficult for me and my family as in my niaevity (sic) with the online world I bumbled into this situation. Not everyone is out to rip off Apple - one of the worlds richest corporations- or the entertainers who market their work through iTunes.I would just like to be able to enjoy the entertainment I pay for where and when I like to on whichever computer is available to me. And I'm not terribly computer literate.

It would have been nice to have had the opportunity to speak just once to a real person in the employ of Apple to explain my situation to them.

Oct 7, 2012 6:18 AM in response to canoehead1

You can't currently delete an account, all you can do is remove any personal info from it and stop using it. But any content that you bought/downloaded with that old account will remain tied to that account, so you will need to continue to remember its id and password in case you want to authorise it on a new computer or re-download its content.

I have 2 Apple ID's one from 2008 which is an email account I no longer use. Can I terminate this account and just use the preferred one?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.