Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I retrieve deleted text messages?

I inadvertently deleted a string of text messages. I don't think I had my settings correct for icloud backup. Can I still retrieve what was deleted?

iPhone 4S, iOS 6

Posted on Oct 7, 2012 7:59 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Oct 7, 2012 8:07 AM

If your iPhone's backup was updated since the text messages were sent/received and has not been updated since the text messages were deleted, you can try restoring the iPhone with iTunes from your iPhone's backup.

6 replies

Oct 7, 2012 8:18 AM in response to HRme

Hi there,

you can check in iTunes under PREFERENCES; DEVICES whether you have any backups stored on your computer. Also on the overview page of your iPhone (visible if your phone is connected to iTunes) the date and time of the last successful backup (local or iCloud) is listed.

To restore those text messages, if you do have a recent backup, either stored locally or within iCloud, restore your phone from that backup. However, this only makes sense, if the backup is not older than one day, more if the content of your phone does not change daily.

If no backup exists or an existing backup is too old, then those messages remain lost.

Hope this helps,

Chris

Feb 21, 2014 11:05 PM in response to HRme

If you have ever backed up your iPhone via iTunes or iCloud, you can restore iPhone from the backup. iTunes and iCloud allow you to restore iPhone SMS, contacts, calendars, notes and settings directly from iTunes backup. After that, all of your iPhone data will be replaced by the old data in your backup folder.

Refer to this guide:

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1766

To recover iPhone without backup, or if you only want to get your text messages back, you may have to turn to some third party software for help. Even if you don’t have any backup files, they can help you find your text messages back with ease.

Refer to this guide:

How to Recover Deleted Text Messages on iPhone

Apr 29, 2015 11:43 PM in response to HRme

That is true, the most popular way of retrieving deleted iPhone data is through iTunes or iCloud restore. Especially as everyone is used to using these programmes provided by Apple for Apple devices.

However there are also apple approved developers, including the fellas I work with, that have developed intelligent software to copy your iPhone database and retrieve deleted data; including messages. So even when you have not created a backup to recover from, you can still retrieve deleted messages and restore them back to iPhone.

(**disclaimer, I have written the article posted and work for the company mentioned and may benefit financially any any other way from the link provided)

How do I retrieve deleted text messages?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.