Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Copying iPhoto library to external drive - errors, corrupt disk

Hi -

I've been trying to copy my 35Gb iPhoto library to an external flash drive so that I can have it in portable form (it's outgrown my MacBook Air); every time I try to copy it, I end up with an error message and a corrupt flash drive. Here's what I tried doing:

1. Rebuilt my iPhoto library using iPhoto Library Manager (this is because I had tried to copy the Library before and there were problems with the file, so I thought I should start with a freshly rebuilt version). After testing it, Library seemed to be functioning normally.

2. Formatted my Centon 128Gb flash drive to Mac OS extended journaled. Check via Disk Utility that drive is normal. Dragged iPhoto library over to flash drive to copy. Took overnight (about 13 hours) to copy iPhoto library 😮

3. Checked on progress in the morning and found this message:

The Finder can’t complete the operation because some data in “iPhoto Library 20120531(rebuilt20121006).photolibrary” can’t be read or written.

(Error code -36)

This was the same message I had gotten in previous tries.

4. The Centon 128Gb flash drive was no longer visible on the desktop, and when I launched Disk Utility it was not mounted and not visible. I removed the flash drive from the Mac and reconnected it. Disk Utility then recognized it, but upon verifying the flash drive I got this message:

Verifying volume “xxxx's Photos”

Checking file systemChecking Journaled HFS Plus volume.

Invalid node structure

Checking extents overflow file.

Unused node is not erased (node = 3)

Checking catalog file.

Invalid node structure

Invalid node structure

Invalid node structure

Invalid node structure

Invalid node structure

Invalid node structure

The volume could not be verified completely.

Error: This disk needs to be repaired. Click Repair Disk.

Verify and Repair volume “xxxx's Photos”

Checking file systemChecking Journaled HFS Plus volume.

Invalid node structure

Unused node is not erased (node = 3)

Checking catalog file.

Invalid node structure

Invalid node structure

Invalid node structure

Invalid node structure

Invalid node structure

Invalid node structure

The volume could not be verified completely.

Volume repair complete.Updating boot support partitions for the volume as required.Error: Disk Utility can’t repair this disk. Back up as many of your files as possible, reformat the disk, and restore your backed-up files.

5. I then reformatted the flash drive and tried to verify again (both the volume and the disk). I got this message when verifying the disk:

Verifying partition map for “CENTON CENTON USB Media”

Checking prerequisites

Checking the partition list

Checking for an EFI system partition

Checking the EFI system partition’s size

Checking the EFI system partition’s file system

Problems were found with the partition map which might prevent booting

Error: The partition map needs to be repaired because there’s a problem with the EFI system partition’s file system.

Verifying and repairing partition map for “CENTON CENTON USB Media”

Checking prerequisites

Adjusting partition map to fit whole disk as required

Repairing the EFI system partition’s file system

Checking all HFS data partition loader spaces

Reviewing boot support loaders

Checking Core Storage Physical Volume partitions

Updating Windows boot.ini files as required

The partition map has been repaired

Verifying partition map for “CENTON CENTON USB Media”

Checking prerequisites

Problems were found with the partition map which might prevent booting

Error: The partition map needs to be repaired because there’s a problem with the EFI system partition’s file system.

7. It took several tries to get the flash drive reformatted and back to normal status (i.e. no problems showing up in Disk Utility). FYI, in a previous attempt, I rendered another of these Centon USB flash drives completely useless and had to return it to the company. No idea what to do next. Can anyone tell me what exactly is going on here, and why can't I copy my iPhoto library to this disk without corrupting it?

Apple TV, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Oct 7, 2012 9:22 AM

5 replies

Oct 7, 2012 10:15 AM in response to Gretchen Daniel1

Create a new test library with maybe 100 photos and see if you can copy it to the flash drive. If you can then your current library is the culprit. If that's the case give the following a try: make a temporary, backup copy (select the library and type Command+D) and apply the fix below:

Fix #1

Launch iPhoto with the Command+Option keys held down and rebuild the library.

User uploaded file

Since only one option can be run at a time start with Option #1, followed by #4.

Check the library after each run to verify it's working as expected. Then try coping to the flash drive again.

OT

Oct 7, 2012 1:21 PM in response to Old Toad

Thanks Toad. I was able to copy the test library to the flash drive (it was just over 100 photos, only 78MB, and yet it took 15 minutes to copy, which is similar to my experience copying my big iPhoto Library - 35G, 13 hours to copy).

However, when I tried to open the version that I copied to the flash drive, I got this message:

"Your photo library is either in use by another application or has become unreadable

Shut down and restart your computer, and then open iPhoto again. If the problem persists, try rebuilding your photo library. To do this, quit iPhoto, and then reopen it while keeping the Option and Command keys pressed. You can also try restoring your photo library from a backup."

Just to be sure, I ejected the flash drive from my Mac and tried it in another Mac. I got the same message.

Furthermore, I launched Disk Utility and tested the flash drive (which just moments before had tested fine) and got this message:

Verifying volume “128 GP drive”

Checking file systemPerforming live verification.

Checking Journaled HFS Plus volume.

Unused node is not erased (node = 1328)

Checking catalog file.

Invalid node structure

The volume 128 GP drive could not be verified completely.

Error: This disk needs to be repaired. Click Repair Disk.

So there seems to be something happening during the process of copying the iPhoto Library over to the flash drive that is making the library unreadable AND corrupting my flash drive. I'm totally perplexed.

??

Update: And now Disk Utility cannot repair the disk. It appears to be completely hosed. 😟

Oct 7, 2012 1:32 PM in response to Yer_Man

That's what I would think too - except this same thing has happened to me with two different Centon Datasticks, which otherwise work perfectly. I've been able to use them to store other files with no problems (I have three, and one of them is 64G and almost full, and I've been using it for a year with absolutely no trouble). I do seem to recall when I had to return one to Centon that they said they recommend formatting exFAT. I don't know why. But mine are formatted Mac OS and work fine except in this application.

I guess I'll have to find another brand of flash drive - is there anything out there that's Mac native?

Copying iPhoto library to external drive - errors, corrupt disk

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.