Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My Mac Pro intel based tower starts up but the display dose not show anything.

I am having a problem when I start up my Mac Pro it will make the start up sound. But the display will now show anything and just look for a signal any ideas?

Mac Pro (Early 2008)

Posted on Oct 7, 2012 10:11 AM

15 replies

Oct 7, 2012 10:31 AM in response to P1twon

Try this, then:

Boot to the Recovery HD:

Restart the computer and after the chime press and hold down the COMMAND and R keys until the menu screen appears. Alternatively, restart the computer and after the chime press and hold down the OPTION key until the boot manager screen appears. Select the Recovery HD and click on the downward pointing arrow button.

If you have an older MP model, then you should have installer discs that came with it.

Feb 23, 2015 7:18 PM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

It's ridiculous all I did was run the recommended update on Mavericks and then boom my video card doesn't respond when I used it for the last six months. What I take from it is if you ever buy an Apple computer don't expect to do upgrades on it because it's not reliable. The only time I can even respond on this post is on my computer because Safari on my iPhone will keep crashing every time. now the only solution I could possibly figure out even speaking to an Apple technician is finding an original graphics card which is ancient who's gonna have and then I have to plug it in restored to factory settings then do the upgrade again reinstall my graphics card it's really really frustrating and sad

Feb 24, 2015 6:59 AM in response to Adam A Baker

Which OS version (Yosemite? Lion? etc) and the gpu should be front-and-center if different from the original post (which lacked details also).

Some of the mystery behind and experience of others:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=20703758&postcount=1939

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1440150&page=78

Some got tired of all the issues with "unsupported" and have gotten either EVGA Mac or flashed a PC GTX 680 to avoid problems.

My own "rule number one" is to always have a bootable clone backup of current system, and only then apply updates.

In the past it was possible to apply updates to non-boot drive, even a sparse disk image, and leave the working boot system untouched, that nice feature got taken away, making a clone even more important. There are no painless updates and actually security updates have a habit and long history of breaking more things than a "regular" system update. Not sure why but see that reported all the time. Which is why some like to even hold off for a week, though of course we all are told how security updates should not be deferred, though prudence in applying and being sure it doesn't break essential programs and hardware is as if not more important.

So I always read up on a couple good Mac feedback news sites.

Mar 4, 2015 5:20 PM in response to Adam A Baker

Yes, the problem with a non-EFI card is that the second you have an OS issue, the computer becomes completely unusable or unfixable.

Running a GT630 is fine, but you should keep a cheapie EFI card around for future issues. An AMD 2600XT for Mac is a good choice as it works in ALL Mac Pro towers. A GT120 is also a good choice, but if it is a flashed one, need to be sure it is for your gen of Mac. (EFI32 vs EFI64)

My Mac Pro intel based tower starts up but the display dose not show anything.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.