Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

me needs help

I purchased my 6gb iPod mini on 1/3/2005 and have only just discovered a huge problem...

First of all, every 50 or so songs that are transfered to my iPod via itunes, it comes up with the message "Attempting to copy to the disk iPod failed. The disk could not be read from or written to."...so i right click the iPod on iTunes to put some more songs on, etc.

But there is the odd time when the message doesn't come up and just displays the apple logo on top/takes the iPod off the iTunes screen (which doesn't let me disconnect from iTunes). So then when I disconnect it via the 'Safely Remove Hardware' option on Windows, the iPod displays the exclamation folder and needs restoring.

I have just updated the iPod software and I have restored and resetted so many times, I've lost count. I also just have iTunes and my anti-virus software running on the computer, no other applications.

Oh yes, my warranty has expired so I can't repair it unless I can cough up about £120..

Any ideas would be brilliant...thank you!

Windows XP

Posted on Apr 11, 2006 2:08 PM

13 replies

Apr 11, 2006 3:03 PM in response to wavyglanbles

okay, that rules out the Toshiba USB 2.0 problems, and the laptop powersave settings problems.

what kind of connection do you have? USB 2.0 or Firewire?

do you have a different (known-good) USB or FireWire cable available? if so, do you get a decent sync if you use a different cable?

if it's USB 2.0, i presume you've already tried connecting to a different port, and making sure the connections are snug. but along those lines, have you attached a new USB 2.0 peripheral to the PC lately? if so, do you get a better sync if you disconnect that peripheral first? (you can occasionally get power drain on one port affecting the performance of a different port.)

love, b

Apr 11, 2006 3:26 PM in response to wavyglanbles

i have a usb 1.0 hub which works with restoring (2.0 doesn't work on this as it shows up firmware), and then i switch to the 2.0 for syncing...

okay, so it sounds like the USB 2.0 is a bit flaky to begin with. so it's plausible that it's not the ipod that is suddenly going a bit sour, it's the USB 2.0 suddenly being a bit flakier than usual.

can you actually get an experimental USB 1.1 sync to go through fully (without the "disk cannot ..." message)?

(it'll take a while, but if it goes through fully, the finger points more towards the USB 2.0 than the ipod.)

love, b

me needs help

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.