Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Safari is automatically downloading a text file called "search" with the history of my search in it

Safari is automatically downloading a text file called "search" with the history of my search in it and it is driving me crazy, interrupting me and opening the downlaod box. This started after I installed a number of extensions, one combined my address bar with my search bar (see below)

User uploaded file

and the other was the google toolbar. The above is my search window now- I have evernote, pocket, scribefire, echophon, coda notes, and exposer downloaded too but i can't imagine they are the problem.

This happens constantly see below the dowload box, and then an example of the resulting text file:

User uploaded fileUser uploaded file

Help?!!!!

Safari-OTHER, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Oct 7, 2012 12:15 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 7, 2012 12:35 PM

Also the extension i used to combine the address bar with search is called SafariOmnibar

I really like all the extensions i have- someone please help?

6 replies

Oct 7, 2012 3:23 PM in response to dominic23

I think it worked!!! it was sometimes sporatic but I restarted my comp, did everything usually resulting in the download and and nothing so far!! What does holding shift down and opening a program do?? I'm actually pretty savvy but have never heard of this and now I feel like an idiot with such a simple answer. How does it work??

You are my freaking hero! I'm going to wait a little while longer before I say it's solved, just in case, but I think that worked!

Oct 7, 2012 7:10 PM in response to inaimless

May be you have "automatic restore" window set up in 10.6 / Safari Preference

"Tip: To open Safari without resume, hold down the shift key (⇧) as you open Safari. Safari will then open with the options you selected in the "General" tab of Safari preferences, options like your homepage.

In Mac OS X v10.6 and Microsoft Windows, you can choose to have Safari automatically restore your windows in the "General" tab of Safari preferences."

Source: http://support.apple.com/kb/ht4550

I noticed that you have 10.6 installed. That is why I used "may".

Best.

Safari is automatically downloading a text file called "search" with the history of my search in it

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.